Looking for regulator/hose/octo advice for my first regulator setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like that idea about a bolt snap on the primary hose to just keep it clipped to something when not using the gear so it's not just dangling. What size bolt snap is best for that?

LOL one thing I've noticed buying SCUBA gear is that damn, EVERYTHING comes in like 100 different sizes and I have no CLUE what to get size wise most of the time.

For the 2nd stage hose, one typically will use a small bolt snap
DGX S/S Swivel-Eye {2.75 in | 7.0 cm} Small Sliding Bolt Snap | Dive Gear Express®

Look at the bottom of this page for a guide to common diving applications of the different size bolt snaps they offer:
Premium Stainless Steel Snaps | Dive Gear Express®

-Z

For my primary, I use a 40' miflex hose w/ a 90 elbow. Im a purely recreational diver w/ no intentions of ever entering overhead environments, so I prefer not having the long hose winding around my body & neck.

Its fine, although sometimes I discern a pull downwards.

I wonder if 48' would be better for me, but its not a big enough deal to change. 60' would be too long for me, too much hose looping under my arm.

Try mimicking that length of hose with a length of rope or something. It could depend if you're a tall or short dude. Go with what you like best.

Have fun!

And you are right that hoses aren't really expensive either so maybe I could just get one setup and try it then buy another one later on maybe.

Back before I settled to a 40" hose and bungeed backup after I tried a number of configurations. I consistently use a snorkel, and although I could deploy around the snorkel, I could see it becoming an issue in an emergency. I would have no hesitation using a long hose if I was diving without the snorkel.

I encourage divers to try different configurations to find what make most sense and utility, with regs, as well as other gear. If you think of something better for you, try it and find out. When experimenting, let your buddy know what you are trying so they are not supprised at an inopportune moment.

Bob

I didn't like the bolt snap attached to the hose by the second stage, so I attached a tank valve O-ring to the long hose instead, and use a double-ender to clip to my chest d-ring when not in use. Then I put another O-ring on the long hose close to the first stage. when I'm on the deck I roll the long hose and use the double-ender to clip the O-rings together - keeps the hose neatly out of the way and second stage out of harms way too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom