Looking for regulator/hose/octo advice for my first regulator setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purbeast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm just about to purchase my first regular set, probably tonight, and I am uncertain about what I want to do as far as hoses and routing goes for my primary and octo regulators.

I plan on getting an Atomic Z2 sealed in the blue color for my first/second (primary) setup.

I'm also planning on getting the same Atomic Z2 second stage for my octo regulator. I am leaning towards getting a matching blue one, well, because I like it better athestically and it matches the blue/black theme I have going on with all of my gear, and I'm petty like that and want it to match color wise. I am not 100% getting that though, but leaning that way, and that is part of the reason I made this thread too.

Before I started looking into getting my own gear, I was planning on getting the typical jacket style BCD with a regulator setup and then an "octo" regulator that was cheaper than the primary ones.

However, after testing some gear locally, and researching (a lot of it on here) probably more than most people do when making purchases, I have decided to get a BP/W setup (already purchased) and now for regulators, I'm not getting an "octo" and getting a matching one to the primary second stage (functionality wise).

When I tested the BP/W setup out (which instantly made me want a BP/W) the regulator setup had the primary on like a 5ft hose and then the octo was on a short necklace. That was the first time I ever had seen this and I thought that everyone dove like you learn in PADI courses. I have only done 2 dives after my OW and AOW dives, so I don't have much experience.

And after doing more and more research on here, it seems like a lot of people use this setup. And for good reason. And if using this setup, getting the whole bright colored yellow setup for an octo doesn't matter at all since you will be donating your primary hose in the case of an emergency.

So now that I'm going to purchase my own gear, I am uncertain if I should just go with what I am used to and learned with, or if I should go the route with the longer primary hose and a necklace backup around my neck.

As someone who is new to this world and doesn't have much experience under my belt, I am looking for opinions on this and suggestions from more experienced people. In my head I keep going back/forth as to what I want to do. And if I were to go the route I'm used to, I am not sure if I should get any bright/yellow hoses (or even the yellow Z2) so that it sticks out color wise per what I learned.

I recommend the octo on a necklace around your neck regardless....using anywhere from a 22-inch to a 26-inch hose with the length based on what you find most comfortable.

For your primary regulator...there is no reason to go with a 5ft or 7ft long hose unless you plan on diving in an overhead environment. For the most part a 40" hose routed under the right arm and up to the mouth with a 70 or 90 degree adapter is usually sufficient for non-overhead recreational diving. That being said...I routinely dive with a 7 ft long hose on my primary 2nd stage but that is based on an experience I had with someone that I aim to avoid in the future.

My thoughts on color is yellow-shmellow....especially if you are going with the octo on a necklace. Primary donate in non-overhead recreational diving is predicated on the belief that the out of air diver will grab the regulator they see first and it is believed that will be the one in the mouth of their partner or nearby diver. While there is not a lot of evidence available to support that, there is not a lot of evidence that patently refutes it either. Go with purple hoses, or blue, or red, or whatever color you fancy. You can rest assured that someone will come along one day, most likely on a dive boat and tell you how wrong and dangerous the option you chose is....just smile and wave or pretend to not speak their language.

If you buy the non-octo version of the Z2 it should come tuned more sensitive than the octo version...this may workout just fine or it may cause it to free flow...either way it can be adjusted to deal with the freeflow if need be.

-Z

If it comes in a primary donate setup, roll with that. That's really the best setup, adding an additional measure of safety

I learned & bought (about 15 years ago) the "traditional" octo on a longer hose, attached near the waist area.

I recently switched to primary donate. One reason, bc my octo would always come lose and trail - there just isn't an octo-holder with the perfect blend of accessibility and stay-in-place. This isn't a problem w/ primary donate (bc the octo doesn't need to be donated).

It took me awhile to switch, mainly due to laziness, inertia, but Im glad I did it.

As you say, the yellow indicator isn't that big of a deal. I bought a yellow hose because I wanted a miflex hose on my primary, and I wanted some yellow indication - My primary reg is black.

I just bought that exact setup you're considering--down to the color. Tried it out on Sunday and loved it. The long hose on the primary isn't in the way at all, and having had a buddy out of air once I feel so much more confident I can stuff this one right in their mouth without a split second delay. My octo was always falling out of that stupid jacket bcd pocket on rentals; the necklace setup is a game-changer. And the blue is very nice with my other blue and black gear. :wink: Do it!

Another thing I have been thinking about is that I only have 16 total dives, 12 in the past 8 or so months, and 12 of those were training. I had to do my OW checkout dives twice (well 3 one time then I got sick, then did all 4 next time) and then AOW. 2 of those dives I really "used" the octo just because it was part of the OW checkout dives, pretending out of air and donating. And both times it was different than how I learned in the pool.

So while I was 'trained" that way, in reality I've only really done it twice. And I did have issues with it staying in my jacket as well, and if it fell out, I could never figure out how the hell to fold it back up and put it back in. In my pool training dives, it was clipped on with one of those "quick pull" release things.

I guess what I'm saying is that because I trained that way, I barely trained that way.

And you are right that hoses aren't really expensive either so maybe I could just get one setup and try it then buy another one later on maybe.

If I were to go with the necklace route, a 2ft hose is a good size for that one? I'm going to only be doing single tank dives.

And if I don't need a "long" one, what is the recommended length that isn't too long, for the primary reg, when going the necklace route?

I plan on probably buying a swivel as well to put onto my second stage.

40” for primary donate with swivel is what many people have recommended here.

One other option to consider is a 40" primary (under the arm) to donate and an inline inflator such as the SS1. Very streamlined simple setup. I know many don't like the inline inflator but I have an Atomic SS1 and it breathes almost as good as my high end Scubapro primary. One of the reasons I chose this is I sometimes use a pony bottle for deeper dives and prefer to have that mounted on my back with it's second stage on the necklace. Others sling the pony bottle with the second stage/hose bungeed to the tank but I prefer the back mount. Either way, I think setting it up for primary donate is the best approach along with a very secure storage of the secondary (inline inflator or necklace). When I took my rescue class, it was very interesting watching folks hunt around for their dangling secondary when all I needed to do was reach down to my inflator and stick it in my mouth.

Regarding swivels, if you go with a 40in under the arm with a flexible hose, you may not need it. Using a 70 deg elbow (or 90 deg, whatever works) is simpler and is noticeably lighter. I used to use a swivel but switched to the fixed one using Miflex hoses. I do feel a slight tug in some situations but it has not been an issue and has a bit less failure points and I don't miss the weight of the swivel. I was surprised how much the good ones weigh (like omniswivel). If you do go with a swivel, just make sure to service it and check any screws it may have every once in a while.

If you use the necklace, the hose length will be somewhere around 24" or so. The exact length will take some experimenting since it will depend on your reg and how the hose attaches (which LP port is available and its position on the reg) and the routing it will take as well as your size.

For your primary regulator...there is no reason to go with a 5ft or 7ft long hose unless you plan on diving in an overhead environment. For the most part a 40" hose routed under the right arm and up to the mouth with a 70 or 90 degree adapter is usually sufficient for non-overhead recreational diving. That being said...I routinely dive with a 7 ft long hose on my primary 2nd stage but that is based on an experience I had with someone that I aim to avoid in the future.
A 5' hose isn't long enough for gas sharing in an overhead environment, although it is a comfortable length to do so in open water. It also saves having to tuck the excess someplace.

A 5' hose isn't long enough for gas sharing in an overhead environment, although it is a comfortable length to do so in open water. It also saves having to tuck the excess someplace.

The point is that a "long" hose is not necessary or the only option...the OP expressed they were aprehensive about changing from what they learned with to a long hose setup....the 40" "streamlined" setup is a good happy medium...by providing a longer hose than standard for the primary 2nd stage to give a bit more room if/when sharing the regulator. With the 40" hose the diver does not need to worry about where/how to store the excess hose while diving.

There is nothing wrong with anyone going with a long hose setup, I know divers who adopted it just because they thought it looks cool. Others have adopted it because they see a practical purpose in the setup, and still others have adopted it in anticipation of further training/diving that requires it.

But, if one is looking for what can be considered an low fuss way to adopt the configuration of the octo on a necklace under the chin, then my suggestions is to go with the 40" hose with angled adapter at the 2nd stage routed under the right arm. This is a solid setup that can be used as a transition to a longer hose should one have a desire or need to adopt an even longer hose.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom