Looking for Recommendations for Key Largo dive op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks. It just looks to be the easiest based on us staying at that Marriott.

Definitely use them then....its easy!!

One thing I have heard is that their captains have a bad habit of running over the top of divers :dork2:as they approach mooring balls on the various reefs. So....watch them and see if that is happening, if so ask the captain why s/he does not go around the divers instead of over.

Horizon. Easy to get double dips on the Spiegel or Duane if conditions are good. None of this "wreck first dive, 25' reef second dive" stuff.

Is it safe to say that if you book this "double dip" trip through them, and the weather cooperates, you WILL go to the wrecks?

In other words, they won't add an OW diver last minute to fill the boat that will steer it away from the wreck itinerary?

The weather could be good, but the current bad. We went out on a bluebird day to the Spiegel Grove only to find that the current was ripping, so detoured to the Duane. There was minimal current, so we dove that wreck twice. I really liked the enormous school of barracudas just above the wreck, as well as the layer of tiny jellyfish at safety stop depth.

Is it safe to say that if you book this "double dip" trip through them, and the weather cooperates, you WILL go to the wrecks?

In other words, they won't add an OW diver last minute to fill the boat that will steer it away from the wreck itinerary?
No, nothing is guaranteed in the Keys. But the practice of filling the boat and converting the trip is not a Horizon practice. Let me ask my son how often a switch occurs. He's currently teaching and guiding for them. More to follow...

Just heard back. Doug says that Horizon does double dips almost every day.
He said, "The Spiegel is better for life than people give it credit for. The cranes, the helipad are loaded. And now that the cold water is back there's big schools of jacks and the big sharks are back. Bulls, sandbar, big reef sharks. The Duane also is loaded with life, so double dips are great for that, especially if they're the first off the boat."

I asked, how often canceled for current?
His reply (keeping in mind that he's only been guiding for them for five months now):
I've never had them cancel due to current. Just individual divers decide it's too much for them. But I'm sure it's happened.
He points out regarding the double dips that, "They're AOW dives. If they aren't AOW then they need a guide, and if they decide it's too much for them, that's their loss, but we stay there for the second dive."

He did comment, however, on the occasional diversion to the Duane due to current.

He said, "The Spiegel is better for life than people give it credit for. The cranes, the helipad are loaded. And now that the cold water is back there's big schools of jacks and the big sharks are back. Bulls, sandbar, big reef sharks. The Duane also is loaded with life, so double dips are great for that, especially if they're the first off the boat."

His reply (keeping in mind that he's only been guiding for them for five months now):
I've never had them cancel due to current. Just individual divers decide it's too much for them. But I'm sure it's happened.
He points out regarding the double dips that, "They're AOW dives. If they aren't AOW then they need a guide, and if they decide it's too much for them, that's their loss, but we stay there for the second dive."

That’s very helpful, thank you!

He did comment, however, on the occasional diversion to the Duane due to current.
I've had much more current on the Duane than on the Spiegel Grove, but that's just my experience, 21 dives on the Duane and 24 dives on the Spiegel Grove. One prior operator (now part of Rainbow Reef) used to hot drop us up current from the bow line as to avoid the current. They would then pick us up at the stern line at the end of the dive. Not sure anyone still does this, it was a pleasure.

Yea they don't cancel for current. They cancel due to sea conditions and that's about it. They may change dive sites certainly but they won't cancel. Not that I've ever seen. This is one reason I prefer Southeast FL vs. Key Largo. Many of the wrecks are drifted (Jupiter, Palm Beach) and the current is just not a big factor. Take shelter behind the wreck when you need to and then let go and drift along then repeat. For the wrecks that are dived moored-in such as the Castor, Lady Luck, etc. if the current is ripping they can simply do a reef drift dive instead. It's a nice alternative vs. fighting the current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom