Looking for Recommendations for Key Largo dive op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, on these larger “cattle” boats, do they let you dive your computer or are you required to stay with and ascend as a group?

With RR if you have a buddy you don't have to stick with the guide.

With most other operators they don't put guides in the water unless someone is paying.

I'm taking my brother with me who is newly certified and, unfortunately, is sometimes prone to seasickness. Having never been to Key Largo before, I'm not sure how long the boat rides are out to the reef. Out of Quiesence, Horizon and Rainbow Reef, is one a significantly shorter trip than the others?
Thanks!

Personally, I loved my dives with Rainbow Reef. It was not a “cattle boat”, tons Of room on the boat, great crew, guide in the water. You could follow or not. Dove in August, going back in November.

Hi @Jeff88

I'm confused about your requirements. You're all "experienced" divers, but want a guide and valet service? I assume you all have AOW to do the deep wrecks in Key Largo. With limited load, even the bigger boats will not be crowded. Despite what others have said, with good gas consumption and 32%, your run time on the Duane could be about 45 min, and 45-50 min on the Spiegel Grove.

There's new outfit coming to town. Currently in Islamorada but they are moving to Key Largo. Big boat with only 6. It's going to be the best 6 pack in town. I know the new owner and I've worked for most of the shops in town. They'll be there December 1st. Check out Sun Sports Charter. Also check out Pirate Cove. Its a bigger boat but super cool outfit. Horizon does the Spiegel more often then any other outfit.

There's new outfit coming to town. Currently in Islamorada but they are moving to Key Largo. Big boat with only 6. It's going to be the best 6 pack in town. I know the new owner and I've worked for most of the shops in town. They'll be there December 1st. Check out Sun Sports Charter. Also check out Pirate Cove. Its a bigger boat but super cool outfit. Horizon does the Spiegel more often then any other outfit.
Looks like you probably joined to advertise this, correct? Do you happen to be connected, might be best to let people know that. They do all the best sites. A very good 6 pack could be very successful.

Nope. I just know them. I used to be on here a lot years ago. I've worked for most of the dive shops in the keys so I know the whos who. Some I highly recommend and others I don't for various reasons. I wont slander them, just wont recommend. All are good for different reasons. Some of it is more of the behind the scene stuff that customers dont see.

I can heartily recommend Rainbow Reef at Mile Marker 100. Eight boats give you many choices for dive sites. Underwater guides are free.

I can heartily recommend Rainbow Reef at Mile Marker 100. Eight boats give you many choices for dive sites. Underwater guides are free.
Is it worthwhile to have a guide? I can see the usefulness having a guide for a drift dive in unfamiliar territory, but not so much for dive where you just circle round a wreck or smaller reef area. Not sure what kind of dives they do there.

Guides are good for newly certified divers, and once a year vacation divers. The guides show you the best reef structure, they are good at spotting small critters too. They show you safe swim throughs on the Spiegel Grove and the Duane and they navigate you back to your own boat when the dive is over.

Sometimes there are 10 or more boats on the reef and generally its a bit more difficult to find your own boat from looking up a boat bottoms that all look very similar.

I agree with Jim. Not only that but even reefs like Molasses the guides can often show you some cool features. I know depending on the ball I have routes that I guide that are sure to give the guests the best features. You can drop off a ball and make a wrong turn or go off in a direction that might not have the features as going another way. If you're not familiar with a reef you could waste a good dive. By having a guide you can maximize your time in the water.

Jim, you staying busy over there at RR?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom