Looking for potential research subjects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdoug1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am looking for volunteer divers for microbubble formation data collection in the Venice/Sarasota/Bradenton area. Divers would be required to do a series of 12 dives over the course of 3 days. Deepest dive would be to 130 feet. divers will have carotid and precordial doppler and core temperature measurement. Also, arterial blood gas sampling will be done 3 times (this is a slightly painful procedure) These dives will be done between December 2009 and Feb. 2010 (pending grant approval). If anyone is interested, please PM me for further information.

Last edited:
What will this cost a diver? Will we need to provide our own cylinders? Is there a certain mix we would need to dive, for example 32%? Is Nitrox even an option or will these need to be on air? I know you said to PM for more info but I'm guessing I am not the only person who will have these questions.

What will this cost a diver? Will we need to provide our own cylinders? Is there a certain mix we would need to dive, for example 32%? Is Nitrox even an option or will these need to be on air? I know you said to PM for more info but I'm guessing I am not the only person who will have these questions.

I'm always keen on furthering research. Like IDive - same questions and best to go ahead and post on the forum :)

No cost to diver other than transportation costs to the site of boat launch. Cylinders will be provided. Divers will be breathing air. Still hammering out details (also still waiting for funding via grant). This is just a very preliminary "feeler" to see how hard it will be to find divers willing to submit to ABG sampling. Your interest and potential support is very much appreciated and encouraging!

Hey diverdoug1, Not trying to throw a damper on your research, but you better ante up and tell people that ABG sampling is much, much, more than slightly painful. It's very painful. I've had it done on me and it hurt. Don't try to minimize this procedure. :palmtree: Bob

Hey diverdoug1, Not trying to throw a damper on your research, but you better ante up and tell people that ABG sampling is much, much, more than slightly painful. It's very painful. I've had it done on me and it hurt. Don't try to minimize this procedure. :palmtree: Bob

What is this procedure? An oversized needle getting shoved somewhere not designed for oversized needles to be shoved into?

What is this procedure? An oversized needle getting shoved somewhere not designed for oversized needles to be shoved into?

The ABG is taken from you wrist. I don't remember the needle being large, but I do remember it hurting. It was so unpleasant, I did not allow a second one the next day. Maybe they have improved the procedure since I had it... :palmtree: Bob

An arterial blood gas is obtained by first cleaning the palmar side of your wrist. A small wheal of local anesthetic is injected over the radial artery, and a 23 gauge needle is used to draw a 1/2 cc sample of arterial blood.

Last edited:
Last question-Are we able to do these as normal dives, i.e. descend and enjoy ourselves and surface according to our own dive plan, or are we performing certain tasks, ensuring we have specific bottom times, surfacing at a predetermined time, etc...?

These will be regimented dive profiles. Subject divers will each be led and monitored by an investigator.

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom