Looking for opinions - Doubles Wing for AL80 Twin Set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure shape of the wing is the first thing I would look at if head heavy with AL80 doubles. Lowering the tanks only a little bit ( without compromising ease of reaching the valves) is ok but I would also look at trim actions ( proper arching of the back, pulling in the hands & pushing out the legs a bit). What fins are your using? Have you tried using heavier fins?. If using a Drysuit, how you manage the air in lower torso ( legs) has a big impact on trim.

Well, I was able to trim properly after some adjustments (mainly loosening the shoulder straps). I do wear XL Jetfins. In my case, body position didn't matter. When I had the problem, I could extend my legs out all the way and my head would still fall down.

And yeah, I would not think that the wing shape would make that big of a difference. Just wondering for fine tuning purposes. If it makes a little bit of difference and I feel more comfortable that would be great.

@wKkaY @divezonescuba would y'all say that the Hydros 40 wing has a similar shape compared to a Halcyon Evolve 40?

I currently dive an Nx Project, and I have previously had issues being head heavy. I was able to get the trim right on my al80s by lowering the tanks quite a bit and adding weight to a v weight bottom pouch, but I still wonder what kind of trim effect the extra lift in the valve area would have.

I am just skeptical because XDEEP also explicitly says that the Hydros has reduced volume in the valve area (what they call the "dead zone" for some reason).
From memory they're rather similar... I can't say I felt a difference in trim diving either wing; the main difference I feel is the dump valve position. I'll get you a side by side photo when I get home.

I've pinched the top part before during a dive and it doesn't feel like there's much gas in it - it's mostly the sides of the wing that fill out.

From memory they're rather similar... I can't say I felt a difference in trim diving either wing; the main difference I feel is the dump valve position. I'll get you a side by side photo when I get home.

I've pinched the top part before during a dive and it doesn't feel like there's much gas in it - it's mostly the sides of the wing that fill out.

You mean you pinched the Hydros or the Evolve? Do you still use the Hydros as your primary wing?

Side by side photo would be great. Thanks!

I am curious if you have ever ordered something from AliExpress as an individual? How was your experience?

I ordered something and it was suppose to be shipped via worldwide ups. It was not, even though they even gave me a fake tracking number. Instead it was claimed to have been shipped via Sunyou. A lot of packages never arrive when they are shipped with them. They have 90 days before they consider you entitled to have a complaint. So, basically it has become a big pain and I am now going to have to go thru the cancellation / refund process.

Maybe ok for an importer who will eventually get their one large shipment, so you can then get yours. I don’t fault an importer for adding a percentage on, to go thru the bother each time and have something in stock. Not worth it for an individual.

I also have something on order from a major importer and it’s not in stock. They have been waiting for a month for it to be shipped from overseas. I don’t need to wait on that, they should have it in stock in the us ready to ship as part of the added percentage. So, I will be cancelling and getting it elsewhere.

Evolve 40lb (left) vs Hydros 40lb (right)

Uninflated
20201023_194158_copy_1376x819.jpg

Fully inflated
20201023_194412_copy_1376x874.jpg

Side
20201023_194441_copy_1376x2240.jpg

Bottom
20201023_194534_copy_1376x2222.jpg

20201023_194629_copy_1376x1791.jpg

Hmm from all angles, the Evolve 40 looks a little bigger than the Hydros 40. I'll fill them up with water tomorrow to measure their volume.

@wKkaY yeah the hydros looks slightly more compact. Do you dive both currently? Or mostly just the hydros?

Do you have any experience with the NX Project that you could compare against the Hydros or the Evolve?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom