Looking for opinions - Doubles Wing for AL80 Twin Set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both a Hollis 45# wing and a Halcyon 40# wing that have done well with double AL80s in 5 and 7 mm wetsuits and drysuit. I'd say the Hollis and Halcyon are quite similar, except for the price. I find no problems with tipping as the tanks get emptier.

When I dive double 80s, I put weight in the channel between the tanks. Halcyon makes a nice V-weight pouch that you can use to put soft weights in. (I'm not a Halcyon ho I promise). With a wetsuit I needed about 6-8# of weight in addition to my steel backplate. With a drysuit, I needed 18# so I had some in the weight pouch and some on a belt. I think about 14# is the max you can cram into the weight pouch (of soft weights).

Those wings have also been sufficient for drysuit diving with double steel HP 100s and an AL 80 stage / deco bottle, as well as not overly taco-y with double LP 50s or LP 72s, so I would say they are pretty good all-around performers.

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge. There are nuggets across all the replies that are helping me to narrow down my double wing purchase.

I'm leaning toward the Dive Rite wing or perhaps the Apek - more research and pondering are required. The Halcyon V-Weight Pouch seems a great idea for flexible/adaptive weighting - especially given a dry suit is in my not-so-distant future.

I have two Hollis C45LX wings that I use (disclaimer I bought the Hollis not because of a particular love for the brand but because I got great deal on them 2nd hand but they have worked well for me with no problems so no reason to change yet). I only dive double steel HP100s but I prefer a dounut shaped wing to the horseshoe shaped wings as they allow me to move air around the BC more easily. Another thing you may consider is whether you need a dual bladder wing in addition to a single bladder wing. I often dive the HP100s with a wetsuit, when I do in order to ensure I have redundant buoyancy I use a double bladder wing. When diving with a drysuit I use a single bladder wing. Some would argue you should never dive steels wet and double bladder wings are as much the devil as as split fins but I have not had a problem.

Can the Hollis C45LX single bladder wing be easily upgraded to a redundant bladder wing at a later date?

I don't believe so. On a dual bladder wing there are two complete bladder systems including a bladder, bladder inflator hose and power inflator; each completely independent but house in the same wing outer shell.

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge. There are nuggets across all the replies that are helping me to narrow down my double wing purchase.

I'm leaning toward the Dive Rite wing or perhaps the Apek - more research and pondering are required. The Halcyon V-Weight Pouch seems a great idea for flexible/adaptive weighting - especially given a dry suit is in my not-so-distant future.

FYI
I recently posted a Dive Rite doubles wing in the BCD classified section.

...but I prefer a dounut shaped wing to the horseshoe shaped wings as they allow me to move air around the BC more easily.

Word.

I only dive double steel HP100s but I prefer a dounut shaped wing to the horseshoe shaped wings as they allow me to move air around the BC more easily.

The only different way a donut shaped wing allows air to move from one side to the other is if the lowest part of the wing is higher than the air in the sides. This means a pretty steep head-down position (way out of normal trim), because that center-low section of the wing is always trapped underneath the tanks. It can be done, but it's nothing like 'roll to the right and air will transfer to the right side of the wing'. That can, and does, happen across the top center section of the wing, because it is not trapped underneath the tanks. That only requires a slight heads up position, and works equally well with both horseshoe and donut wings.

The whole donut vs horseshoe wing argument is a bit misunderstood. I believe part of it is because many older horseshoe wings have very wide center sections which makes them taco quite a bit even with big doubles. That makes them unwieldy. Tobin, the owner of the former Deep Sea Supply company, spent many hours on this site trying to dispel the myth about donut vs horseshoe design. The real issue is getting an appropriately sized wing that is not too big or too wide.

It's surprising he stayed as long as he did Mr George given he was fighting
the easily offended like minded mob where those that know the most are
driven out by those soon to be majority stakeholders that know the least

Big plates small plates, but best of all weight plates
Pure genius none of those weight pockets required

full.jpg

Just happen to be building some weight plates currently for the acclaimed Freedom Plate

full.jpg

Magnificent!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom