Looking for new DC. Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’d still be interested to hear people’s personal opinions on wrist vs console style computers.
I despise consoles. They're big and bulky. Too damn many people let them dangle all over the place. Just swingin' in the breeze. They don't clip them off.

Repeat after me: Danglies are Very Bad.

:rofl3:

I despise consoles. They're big and bulky. Too damn many people let them dangle all over the place. Just swingin' in the breeze. They don't clip them off.

Danglies outside the wetsuit anyway. No one wants to see that 🤪

So then do you do away with your console altogether by using AI and a wrist mounted compass?

I can go either way, and I can see the benefits of both. Just interesting to hear what oriole’s opinions are.

Danglies outside the wetsuit anyway. No one wants to see that 🤪

So then do you do away with your console altogether by using AI and a wrist mounted compass?

I can go either way, and I can see the benefits of both. Just interesting to hear what oriole’s opinions are.

You can use a plain brass & glass SPG. That's what I did single tank. Or have a transmitter with an AI computer. I exclusively dive sidemount now and have transmitters on both my tanks (and two Perdix). I rarely have a compass on me. My diving doesn't usually require it.

Peregrine would be my choice. Analog SPG and compass is hard wired in me so AI and digital compass are irrelevant (to me). Color screen is mandatory with my >50 eyes (sadly). SurfGF is a great feature that I use a lot. YMMV.

Learning to use a compass (analog or digital) underwater is a useful skill. You may not think you need it now but you could easily find yourself in a situation where the visibility drops suddenly (not an uncommon occurrence in Sydney) or you end up out on sand in the middle of a bay. Having a compass to at least get you back in the direction of the shore could be a life saver (and a much better option than surfacing in a shipping channel).

So after much umm-ing and ahh-ing, I've decided to get the Excursion.
There are quite a few benefits that it will give me over the Vyper, and it leaves some room for me to expand as well, especially with the impending firmware upgrade.
It was also reasonably priced, and included the USB charging cable, and thankfully will easily sync with Diver Log to download and analyse my dives.

Thanks for the input everyone, it is much appreciated 🙏

Yes, consoles are not that great an idea, especially the way many people use them. You don't really need to look at the SPG that often, so having it hard-wired is OK, although wireless AI is really nice. A console is probably the worst possible place for a compass; when you really need to sue it, it needs to be right in front of you, centered on your body line, and a console makes that difficult. Just watch people hold the compass/console off to the side and glance at it, and then watch them swim in a circle. Sure, it will give you an idea of where the cardinal points are, but for actual navigation it is difficult to impossible on a console....unless the hose to the console is so long that IT becomes a problem.

This is mine,
plus spg with a large boltsnap
20211105_181616.jpg
20211105_181624.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom