Looking for Monterey Dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man diving on easter day you guys / gals either dont have families or as ben says .... "Diving comes right after divorce in the yellow pages" I also submitted request for 16th so if I get that day there will be an open dive buddy slot... Hope it works out , diving on easter would be memoriable and cool

-andy

DiverFred:
I usually go to the Breakwater and look for dive buddies, if conditions are better at other dive spots we try and go. I’m a certified dive buddy!

Fred

Fred, we have been waiting for you to get here for so long!!!! How the heck are you fred! Welcome to Scubaboard. Its gonna be lots of fun with you around here now. What do you think of topics like MOF/NMOF, BP/W vs. vest, solo diving and other fun things?

Sorry but I haven't taken my PADI Dive Buddy speciality course yet.

JustinW:
Sorry but I haven't taken my PADI Dive Buddy speciality course yet.

You haven't???

There's no scuba police, but PADI recommends that you not dive with a buddy until you've taken the Dive Buddy specialty course. It's only 200$, but it teaches you some really critical skills, such as the acronym to remember when selecting a buddy: HOTTIE (Has-experience, Owns-equipment, Trained, Technical, Intelligent, Experienced). The best part is that if you have ignored their advice by diving with a buddy before taking the Dive Buddy specialty course, if you can get a dive instructor to sign off on those unauthorized buddy dives, you can apply those to the specialty course, and if you complete three specialty courses, you can apply the cards to a 16x24" Britney Spears poster.

Ishie:
You haven't???

There's no scuba police, but PADI recommends that you not dive with a buddy until you've taken the Dive Buddy specialty course. It's only 200$, but it teaches you some really critical skills, such as the acronym to remember when selecting a buddy: HOTTIE (Has-experience, Owns-equipment, Trained, Technical, Intelligent, Experienced). The best part is that if you have ignored their advice by diving with a buddy before taking the Dive Buddy specialty course, if you can get a dive instructor to sign off on those unauthorized buddy dives, you can apply those to the specialty course, and if you complete three specialty courses, you can apply the cards to a 16x24" Britney Spears poster.

I heard that the Britney Spears posters are sold out, so you get an old Milly Vanilly poster instead. I thought the acronym for female divers to look for is a buddy was STUD (safe, trained, useful, diligent) or RICH (responsible, intelligent, careful, highly experienced).

JustinW:
I heard that the Britney Spears posters are sold out, so you get an old Milly Vanilly poster instead. I thought the acronym for female divers to look for is a buddy was STUD (safe, trained, useful, diligent) or RICH (responsible, intelligent, careful, highly experienced).

HOTTIE, STUD, and RICH are all important acronyms, particularly for the female diver who must be particularly diligent in buddy selection.

Not sure about the Milly Vinilly poster, but if you donate 15$ to AWARE when you submit your cards, I believe you can upgrade to Vin Diesel. This upgrade will make you eligible for the following PADI specialties: Shark Wrangling, Underwater Explosives, and inexplicably, Fish ID.

Well, hopefully the weather cooperates better than with the North Coast Dive. A few of us made "extra" reservations at Point Lobos, so there are some spots still open if anyone else wants to join us.

Who else is in?

Also, we might be doing a night dive on Tuesday, Apr 18. Anyone else want to join us? I'm open to suggestions on the dive site, but was thinking a nice, easy Breakwater night dive or possibly Lover's cove.

And Ishie, YOU'RE diligent in your buddy selection?? Since when did you begin this rigorous selection process? And PADI speciality cards? Reminds me of that old joke about the NAUI, SSI, and PADI instructors on the dive boat with their OW students. The dive boat starts to take on water, and just as they all get in the water, heads straight for the bottom. They all gather up their respective students and the NAUI instructor says, "OK, we'll stay together as a group, holding hands until the rescue boat gets here." The SSI instructor says, "OK, it's 5 miles to shore, we'll stay together as a group and swim to shore." The PADI instructor looks around and says, "You all owe me another $50, we're going on our first wreck dive!"

I'm in. Nyscubagirl is sharing her reservation with me. Too bad that I can't get in on the Tuesday night dive. Anybody want to do a Sat. night dive instead?

I am IN and have my own reservation. I believe MonkeyKnife-Fight is my dive buddy, though I need to confirm he's still in.

I'd love to get in a Saturday night dive (as well as some Saturday day dives). I'll PM you about that, nkw.

Anyone else for Saturday? Is anyone besides Dan-o bringing a boat on Sunday? Dan, does your boat have a bigger brother it can bring?

Back
Top Bottom