Looking for Monterey/Carmel Dive Buddies during Labor Day Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okgeye once bubbled...
I am going to go ahead and take the Dry Suit Specialty course here in Denver: Class & Pool. But plan to complete my Dry Suit Open Water out in No Cal. Anybody recommend anyone out there that can complete my Dry Suit Open Water certification? I'm being staying with family/friends around the Bay Area so Monterey, Carmel, Sonoma, and Mendocino are all possible options for me to go and complete my Open Water. Would like to do it either Sunday (Aug 31st) or Labor Day (Sep 1st).

I am interested in making a reservation for Point Lobos State Reserve on either Tues, Wed, or Thur (Sep 2 - 4). Anbody interested in going there 1 of those days?

I'm reading the Lonely Planet Book on Dives sites around No Cal. Sounds like most diving out there is Shore Diving. Would it be any good to bring my inflatable, 2-person Kayak and tie off on the Kelp floating at the top ? Not really big enough for 2 Divers with gear although the Kayak would 1 with all gear.

Does anyone have an idea as to whether it's more economical to bring my own Tanks or to simply Rent them? I'll still need to fill them out there. Does anyone know where's the best places to Rent/Fill Tanks around Monterey, Carmel, Sonoma, and Mendocino?

There are several dive shops in monterey alone. See
http://darwin.bio.uci.edu/~rvilla/shop.html Contact them about completing your drysuit open water.Scubaroo can lead you to some further up north if needed.

I would be all for a trip to Pt lobos on one of those days you mentioned.I have never dove there so it will be new to me.I have tried to go a few times on the weekend but wasnt allowed in because they had reached their limit for divers for the day and had no reservations. Ill check and see if i can get one of those days off when i go back to work next monday.

There are plenty of places around monterey for kayaking and kayak diving. Hopefully ill have a dive kayak by then if i find a used one for a decent price after our state budget is settled.So go ahead and bring it.

There are also boat charters that can take you to some great dive spots that you cant reach by shore diving.

I own my tanks and use them.There are plenty of places to get air and tanks in monterey.Nitrox is plenty available to if your certified for it.There are no dive shops or places to get air in carmel that i know of.You just have to bring enough tanks for your dives.After two good beach dives you will be exhausted anyways :D

Is that tongue in cheek? For some reason I thought you had more experience than the three of us put together? :)

I'm sure you'll see me do something really stupid and wonder how I made it through my OW class :wink:

In any case, some nice relaxing diving sounds fantastic.

Best Regards,
Atticus

Atticus once bubbled...
Is that tongue in cheek? For some reason I thought you had more experience than the three of us put together? :)

I'm sure you'll see me do something really stupid and wonder how I made it through my OW class :wink:

In any case, some nice relaxing diving sounds fantastic.

Best Regards,
Atticus

Nope im dead serious. I have just begun my journey to the technical side.Even when i do get training for trimix im not sure if i could afford to fill my tanks with the stuff anyhow.To me any kind of diving is relaxing and fun :D

Thanks for the Dive Shop info. I appreciate you providing it. I'm looking forward to buying you some beers! You're a good guy or gal! Cheers to you!

So far I just do Air Tanks...I can only throw so much money at this sport before the pleasure-return on investment may not make sense for me at this point in my life. Maybe someday it will.

lal7176 once bubbled...

I would be all for a trip to Pt lobos on one of those days you mentioned.I have never dove there so it will be new to me.I have tried to go a few times on the weekend but wasnt allowed in because they had reached their limit for divers for the day and had no reservations. Ill check and see if i can get one of those days off when i go back to work next monday.

:D

TO LAL7176 :
are you still up for Diving Pt Lobos during Labor Day Week? I'm up for reserving either Tuesday (Sept 2) or Wednesday (Sept 3).

okgeye once bubbled...

TO LAL7176 :
are you still up for Diving Pt Lobos during Labor Day Week? I'm up for reserving either Tuesday (Sept 2) or Wednesday (Sept 3).

Ill check and see if either one of those days are available for me to get the day off. Im sure i can get either day off.Ill let you know tomorrow :D

lal7176 once bubbled...

Lol.... i just noticed this. Yes i am a guy , and you? :D

I'm a guy also. Happily married to a fine lady that can no longer dive due to ear problems. She kept breaking her ear drum on her 2nd - 4th Dive trips. Decided she should not push it any longer and stick to snorkeling. She'll be visiting family/friends on East Coast while I visit family/friends on West Coast.

I figured this would be a great opportunity for me to go do something that she would probably never do: cold water dive. Don't think she would be up for cold water snorkeling either, but she would probably love the the sea lions, seals, etc.

I figured out you are a guy (and like the ladies) based on some other Threads I saw you on. That's sits well with me! I'm just looking for a good, cold water dive buddy at this point....and maybe a drinking buddy at the end of it all!

I like beer, but drink in moderation for a 40 year old. I don't really care if you drink at all...my wife doesn't.

So Sept 3rd is the day for Pt Lobos?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom