Looking for Monterey/Carmel Dive Buddies during Labor Day Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okgeye

Reaction score
Planning to visit Bay Area during Labor Day week (Aug 31 - Sep 7) to visit family/friends. Don't know anybody in Bay Area who's a Cold Water Diver. Hoping to hookup with 1 or more folks who plan to dive (shore dive?) Monterey and/or Carmel during the Weekdays?

This will be my first Cold Water Dive, but will bring Dry Suit Gear. Have a 100+ dives in Carribean and Australia. Am an avid Photo/Video Diver but not a reckless maverick. Will arrange my Dry Suit training before arriving. Plan to carry 1 or 2 Pony Tanks in addition to Alt 2nd Stage. Hoping someone's up for a Cold Water rookie.

I do most of my diving at moterey and the central CA coast.I should be able to make at least one of those days.

You will be glad to have a drysuit.I kicked the wetsuit habit long time ago :D

I didnt quite understand what you meant by this though "Plan to carry 1 or 2 Pony Tanks in addition to Alt 2nd Stage."

HI LAL7176, Thanks for Replying and offering to join me in a Dive that week. Looks like I'll probably take the Dry Suit specialty course here, around Denver, and then complete the Open Water part out there. To settle on the logistics of hooking up, just send me an Email at :

okgeye@yahoo.com

Regarding the Pony Tanks, I've got 2 Spare Air Tanks. I guess they would be considered mini-Pony" Tanks. They are Back-Up Emergency, mini-Air Tanks in case my Primary Tank is out and for some reason I can not find my Buddy. They provide enough Air for a safe Ascent from 100+ft.

Again, I appreciate your offer to hookup. Hope it happens.

I send you a private message, but I'm interested in meeting up with you.

You will be glad to have a drysuit.I kicked the wetsuit habit long time ago

Of course, real men wear wet suits.....:) Z

I am going to go ahead and take the Dry Suit Specialty course here in Denver: Class & Pool. But plan to complete my Dry Suit Open Water out in No Cal. Anybody recommend anyone out there that can complete my Dry Suit Open Water certification? I'm being staying with family/friends around the Bay Area so Monterey, Carmel, Sonoma, and Mendocino are all possible options for me to go and complete my Open Water. Would like to do it either Sunday (Aug 31st) or Labor Day (Sep 1st).

I am interested in making a reservation for Point Lobos State Reserve on either Tues, Wed, or Thur (Sep 2 - 4). Anbody interested in going there 1 of those days?

Also if anyone has sent me any Email directly to my okgeye@yahoo.com account then I may have accidentally deleted your message yesterday. I purged my "Bulk" Mail Inbox without thinking that 1 of you may have tried to send me an Email. Typically all my SPAM goes there so I didn't think that possibly 1 of your Emails may have gone there too. If you sent an Email to me then please re-send! Sorry about that!

I'm reading the Lonely Planet Book on Dives sites around No Cal. Sounds like most diving out there is Shore Diving. Would it be any good to bring my inflatable, 2-person Kayak and tie off on the Kelp floating at the top ? Not really big enough for 2 Divers with gear although the Kayak would 1 with all gear.

Does anyone have an idea as to whether it's more economical to bring my own Tanks or to simply Rent them? I'll still need to fill them out there. Does anyone know where's the best places to Rent/Fill Tanks around Monterey, Carmel, Sonoma, and Mendocino?

okgeye once bubbled...

Regarding the Pony Tanks, I've got 2 Spare Air Tanks. I guess they would be considered mini-Pony" Tanks. They are Back-Up Emergency, mini-Air Tanks in case my Primary Tank is out and for some reason I can not find my Buddy. They provide enough Air for a safe Ascent from 100+ft.

Again, I appreciate your offer to hookup. Hope it happens.

Most shoredives around monterey dont go deeper than 50ft unless you go to some of the sites in carmel such as monastery.Monastery has a very wicked beach for entry and exit. Its one of those things where you can walk in no problem, do your dive and come back up to big waves crashing on the beach.I think that most people who have dove monastery have been tossed around in the surf a bit and it aint no fun.:D

You will enjoy diving here. There is lots of great stuff to see if the vis holds out. Hope to see you when you get here.Talk to you later!!

Thanks LAL7176 on Monastary.. My book describes the same as you mention. Probably would not pursue that the 1st Day out! Need to aclimate to the Dry Suit world 1st with some Kitty Diving 1st. As we get close to Labor Day week, maybe we can firm up rendevouz points during the week.

I have this week off and was thinking of spending it diving somewhere other than Tahoe. I've done a few trips to Monterey in the past and would be happy to spend a day or more.

It sounds like you guys are talking about recreational dive profiles?

Our little group consists of:
myself: padi dm, naui trimix 1
buddy: naui trimix 1
gf: aow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom