Looking for Keys advice for late May-Early June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just don't sign up for the three hour tour!

Sebtdi: your experience on the Spiegel Grove is one of the key reasons I got a solo certification. I can control my bottom time based on my SAC, nitrox mix and tank size. Even with RR's rather small 80 c.f. tanks, I've done some decently long dives. Its even easier to get a good dive with Conch Republic 100 c.f. tanks.

I've never been out with the Minnow. I can recommend Quiescence if you want a smaller boat. I've also had many many good experiences with Conch Republic too. They have a big boat like RR but its usually not overly crowded..... They also have the big nitrox tanks.

+1 for Conch Republic. No guide (unless you hire a private guide, they can set that up for you if you like). You plan your dive and dive your tank. They rent larger steels. Admiral Brenda runs a nice shop and she'll do her best to accommodate your needs as long as it doesn't inconvenience her other divers. They post their calendar online. With a little notice Brenda has arranged trips to specific dive sites for me (as long as mother nature cooperates, of course :)). All IMHO, YMMV.

Hello all, started this post some time last year in anticipation for a planned Key Largo trip. A bit of feedback on my last March 2018 trip :

Next year I will spend more time to find a smaller operator or private charter with fewer divers; and hopefully enjoy are more custom-able dive.

I also wish they had larger capacity steel single cylinders or double aluminium sets as rentals to get you closer to recreational NDL and get more bang for the buck spent underwater; I asked around and no ones carries them other than cave country up north. It's a hassle to carry from Canada to Florida. Carrying a stage bottle 40 cu.ft. is more practical

Walking around the local harbor later in the afternoon I stumbled across this operator. Looks interesting. Does anyone have other recommendations for smaller Key Largo operators at a reasonable price that actually have a schedule to pick your own dive sites and possible deco dives? Maybe worth paying a bit more and get what you are paying for !! The week before I called Key Largo Dive Centre and they were not going on the Spiegel Grove, they had training all week and no sites are guaranteed. What a bummer,!

View attachment 453288

Hi sebtdi.

I first dived with HMS Minnow Charters over 25 years ago with the original owner Gerry Burcham. He sold the operation to Jeff Jarvis, a retired law enforcement officer who relocated to the Keys to live the moist dream.

For a number of years Minnow was my operator of choice whenever I needed to dive the upper Keys for photo assignments, when I had out of town friends visit who wanted to dive the sites, or when I’d take my son down for a change of pace from our usual Dade, Broward, and West Palm Beach county locations. When shooting assignments I could afford to book the boat for myself and any companions, and got to call the shots regarding site selection and safe diving protocol.

While diving from Minnow recreationally, I was always treated like family by Gerry and Jeff. (A well liked family member, not like the drunken uncle at holiday gatherings.) I much prefer diving off of a six pack than the boats that cater to larger groups. I always supplied all the tanks that my groups required, but believe that Minnow can arrange rental cylinders.

I have not had the chance to shoot professionally in Key Largo for the past few years, so my visits there have been dictated by friends requesting my company on visits to the Duane and Spiegel Grove wrecks. We’ve used one operator who is no longer in business and thus will remain nameless, and Horizon Divers. I’ve no complaints about Horizon and will most likely use their services again. They are accommodating to both recreational and technical divers, operate a pair of boats, (one six-pack and another larger twin-hull), and run trips tailored to each group. As Horizon caters to technical divers, you might give them a call to see if they offer rentals of the higher capacity cylinders and bail outs that you expressed an interest in.

As it has been some time since I’ve had the opportunity to charter HMS Minnow, I believe that Jeff sold the operation to its current owner, John Garvey. I’ll most likely pay John a visit when I get the chance, and if his level of service, courtesy, and professionalism is of a similar nature to the previous owners’, then he’ll earn my business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom