Looking for Keys advice for late May-Early June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which reef is the best for sea life and drift? I read good reviews about Looe Key. Nothing wrong with Key Largo it’s just that I already been there and would like to try something new and less busy. Is Key Largo and Key West the only good spots with wrecks?

Yeah, I just saw the site is down. It's a great site; it's the one I use to put all my dive numbers in my GPS. Highly recommend you try it again in a day or two. I'm heading down to Islamorada the 1st week of Feb to dive and fish.

Which reef is the best for sea life and drift? I read good reviews about Looe Key. Nothing wrong with Key Largo it’s just that I already been there and would like to try something new and less busy. Is Key Largo and Key West the only good spots with wrecks?
When we went out with Conch Republic Divers (Tavernier, FL) we went to Davey Crocker reef. There were a lot of free swimming green morays. The beginning of the video also gives you a look at their boat.

Last edited:
Hello Divers,

I will be heading down to the Keys in March, this would be my second trip to Key Largo. Last time I dove with Rainbow Reef in and had a great time. Although, I have to agree the farm boats are quite busy.

Any recommendations for another operator in the upper keys combination of reef and wrecks, not too busy and smaller boat ? My wife is not a diver and would be nice if she could enjoy a nice local and natural beach while I am diving away.

Thanks for the tip!

Hi, heading down there myself in March and looking for something similar. But want to make sure I atleast get a double on the Spiegel.

Hi, heading down there myself in March and looking for something similar. But want to make sure I atleast get a double on the Spiegel.

Key Largo Dive Center does doubles dips on deep wrecks, small boat 6 divers. Click on "Dive Boat", Not sure to find this offer somewhere else. The issue is getting the right group with wreck experience to go with. If you are interested in some dates, give me a shout, I will be in the keys area March 16-24. That's all I do here deep dives in the Great Lakes around here but much colder and darker!

Dive Boat | Key Largo Dive Center

Sea monkeys. We stayed at breezy palms with my boat.used them for air fills. Fantastic people great help and advise. They run trips out to alligator and other local spots. Short ride out beautiful dives. They went out with as little as 2 divers. I think 6 max.

2x on Sea Monkeys. We also stay at Breezy Palms (literally right next door).

Hello all, started this post some time last year in anticipation for a planned Key Largo trip. A bit of feedback on my last March 2018 trip :

Finally, I went with Rainbow Reef right in Key Largo. Main reason is the fact that they post a complete dive schedule in advance on the website so you can actually reserve your preferred dive site. I wanted to dive the Spiegel Grove deep dive so badly. Second dive was the french reef. Overall good fun dives, lots to see but be aware..

As expected, the dive vessel was packed, 15 divers "farm boat" type ; 4-5 divers per DiveMaster. We did not get much bottom time on the Spiegel Grove wreck as we had to always stay with the group. The DM was drilling everybody on watching our no deco time and air; annoying..this really distracted me from enjoying the dive site. Also, we were going in the wrong direction on descent, burning extra time to find the wreck. With a 80 cu.ft. tank, our bottom time on the Spiegel was way too short like 4-5min at 100 ft. and DM was asking for our air readings every 2 min! So distracting!! We are all certified divers and should be responsible enough to look after our own safety and buddy; but on the other hand, I completely understand why they are doing this as many divers come from all over the world with various experience and comfort levels so for liability reasons,not being familiar with the dive site they are really conservative and really insist on extra safety. One of the younger guys in our group ran low on air on the ascent and needed help. It would be nice if they could sort out the group by experience and interest but I guess they would not make any money that way, too much time consuming. I carried a small stage bottle just in case I could squeeze more bottom time, never happened

Next year I will spend more time to find a smaller operator or private charter with fewer divers; and hopefully enjoy are more custom-able dive.

I also wish they had larger capacity steel single cylinders or double aluminium sets as rentals to get you closer to recreational NDL and get more bang for the buck spent underwater; I asked around and no ones carries them other than cave country up north. It's a hassle to carry from Canada to Florida. Carrying a stage bottle 40 cu.ft. is more practical

Walking around the local harbor later in the afternoon I stumbled across this operator. Looks interesting. Does anyone have other recommendations for smaller Key Largo operators at a reasonable price that actually have a schedule to pick your own dive sites and possible deco dives? Maybe worth paying a bit more and get what you are paying for !! The week before I called Key Largo Dive Centre and they were not going on the Spiegel Grove, they had training all week and no sites are guaranteed. What a bummer,!

IMG_4024 (2).JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom