Looking for Jupiter Beach trip recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

I'm looking for recommendations for where to stay in or around Jupiter beach on May 17-19. Two divers, looking for a room not more than $150 a night (but preferably less!). We've got all our own gear, but will need some nitrox refills while we're there.

As for a boat, I think I'm probably being a little picky but I don't want another big boat like I was on last time I went to palm beach. Ideally, I'd like to find a 6 pack or therabouts that won't mind taking us out and doesn't have a hard 60 mins per dive limit. That last part is important; I hate wasting 50+ cuft of nitrox!

Jupiter Dive center looks like it might be a good spot for fills, but as best I can tell from photos their boat is too big for my tastes. However, I may do at least one with them since they advertise night dives on the site and I've been dying to do one.

So, any and all input will be appreciated. I'd like to get it planned out and booked by tomorrow.

JDC is one of the top operators in Jupiter, so if you hook up with them they will treat you well and have a great variety of tanks for rent (including big steels).

There are several top ops in Jupiter/North Palm Beach.

Scubaworks/Kylami (the boat's name) are excellent. Not quite as big a boat as JDC but certainly no 6 pack either, they might take 12 or more. They also work with the Emerald, another boat that is not too large, which has a top reputation but specializes in spearfishing and often dives the deep ledges at 130'. High adventure for sure for advanced divers. The shop can also set you up with big steels and any mix you want.

Pura Vida Divers runs the Sirena, which I think takes 10, not in Jupiter but a short drive to Riviera Beack.

All of these ops do night dives but you need to check with them.

There are other great ops like Jim Abernethy, one of my "go to" ops, but their boat is larger.

I don't know of any "6 packs" in the area, but maybe others will.

These are some of the smallest boats I know of

While Jupiter Dive Center's boats are larger than 6 packs, it's been my experience that they run a smooth, professional operation. I see that you've listed your experience at between 25 - 49 dives. Don't know how much experience you've got doing drifts, but the current off of Jupiter can be more than a touch brisk. One nice thing about JDC is that there is always a divemaster or instructor aboard who serves as a guide for all of their dives. You do not have to use the guide, but it's kind of nice if you're not familiar with the dive sites, and frees you of the task of carrying the flag. I usually visit Jupiter during Goliath Grouper aggregations at the end of summer, and those sites tend to be a bit deep. Thus no decompression limits are usually not in excess of 60 minutes. Regardless, I do not recall a specific time limit being imposed on most dives, and individuals are responsible for their own profiles.

Riverwalk takes up to 8 out of Jupiter but has a narrow beam so I would only recommend it on a calm day.

There are some six packs in West Palm but they are almost exclusive spearfishing/hunting boats.

If you dive during the week you are a lot less likely to have a packed boat.

I know the Holiday Inn Express in Juno is a nice hotel, and reasonably priced, but about 5 miles south, however you can walk to the beach. I would imagine that the La Quinta is decent based on its location, and it is very close to the dive shops and dive boats in Jupiter. The Best Western in Jupiter is also in a good location so it is probably fine. It is extremely close to Scuba Works and Riverwalk Dive Center.

You won't get 60 minute dives in Jupiter, simply based on depth and NDL's. Also if you push the length of your first dive, your SI will really suffer as the boats generally like to keep their schedule. If 60 minute dives are critical to you, try the 45-60' reefs further south.

I see that you've listed your experience at between 25 - 49 dives. Don't know how much experience you've got doing drifts, but the current off of Jupiter can be more than a touch brisk.

I've only got 26 dives logged, two of which were drift. Both of those were at Palm beach with Narcosis. It was booked through a local shop here so we brought our guide with us.

I've only got 26 dives logged, two of which were drift. Both of those were at Palm beach with Narcosis. It was booked through a local shop here so we brought our guide with us.

Just curious. I have dove with 4 different boats out of WPB and one in Jupiter but now stick mostly with Narcosis. What was it about Narcosis that you did not like?

Might be a liitle south for your tastes but Abernathy's Scuba Adventure was always a great experience for me. I think I have had about 20 to 30 dives with them. Search the board for Jupiter and you will fing several trip reports from the Jupiter area. A couple that I remember highly recomend the Jupiter Dive Center.

Just curious. I have dove with 4 different boats out of WPB and one in Jupiter but now stick mostly with Narcosis. What was it about Narcosis that you did not like?

The boat was overbooked. They turned people away to meet their limit but it was still so cramped I was constantly bumping other divers (and vice versa) when gearing up. There wasn't really enough room in the cabin or up top so I ended up out back most of the (admittedly short) ride. Seasickness ensued; although seas were 4-6' and I did about everything else wrong for this as well so I can't blame the exhaust completely. They also have these square holders made for tanks. They only have four on the boat that will accommodate 8" tanks (which my buddy and I use). The reason that's a problem is that they are far apart on the boat. That means one of us has to get in first and float around for several minutes waiting for our buddy or try and push past everyone else at dive time.

They were about 90 minutes late picking us up at the dock because of something that had happened on a previous trip that day. Things felt very rushed and uncomfortable

I will say their staff was excellent. No complaints there. The hot water in the hose/on-board shower was nice too. The dive sites were fantastic; we did bath & tennis reef and Teardrop reef.

Wow. I can see why you are looking elsewhere. We do most of our dives during the week so that probably helps. The only time we ever felt crowded was a Saturday night grouper dive last fall. That trip was shoulder to shoulder but the dive was worth it. I also love the overhead netting to keep stuff high and dry. And Captain Van will go to many of the sites that are a little further out so we are less likely to repeat sites too many times during a week of dives. I had that happen with another dive op. I think I dove Bath and Tennis 4 times that week! And as you said, the crew is top notch. Side note, I hate the head on that boat but I guess it's better than none!

I don't really have a good alternative for you. I have not been out with them but I have read several SBer's that recommended the Scuba Club in WPB.

About The Scuba Club

kelemvor: you're not going to be getting 60 minutes of diving in Jupiter. Between the depth, NDL's, need for a SI between dives and gas consumption it really isn't going to work. You might get a little more than 50 minutes including your safety stop, but if you do you'll be the last back on the most of the boats. When I'm out with Jupiter Dive Center, I routinely am the last back on the boat with the DM and seldom exceed a total dive time, including safe ascent and safety stop, of 55 minutes. Even when I dive with friends on their private boats, we seldom hit a 60 minute dive in Jupiter: the numbers don't work out if you're doing multiple dives or unless you are diving in a shallow (non scenic) area for lobster during lobster season.

I think uncfnp made a good suggestion with the Scuba Club: I used to go out with them a lot but since I live in the Jupiter area, mostly dive with Jupiter Dive Center now (I'm about 10 minutes from the JDC shop). What's nice about the Scuba Club is that they'll send a couple of DM's down with the divers so you can have a nice long dive and still not get lost since a DM will stay down with you. I still go out with Scuba Club on Friday afternoons if I can escape from work since they are about the only Friday afternoon two tank game in north Palm Beach county.

I've never been out with the operator, but I think Hypnautical (sp?) operates a 6 pack in WPB: however, from what I hear, mostly spearfishers use the operator. If you can fill the boat with five friends, I'm pretty sure the cap't will take you sight seeing instead.

As I mentioned, I think highly of JDC. Even in the summer, their boats are not quite as filled during the week but, will likely be filled on the weekends. A lot of divers like Capt' Sl8er (Scuba Work's boat) and Riverwalk Dive Ctr as well.

One concern I'd have is that if you weren't happy with Narcosis, you're not going to be very happy with any operator in the area since Narcosis is a top notch dive boat/operator, imho. In the summer, all the boats will be crowded: the diving is so good in this area that both tourists and locals will fill up amost every boat on the weekends. Additionally, all dive boats occasionally have mechanical issues or are delayed a little bit through circumstances beyond their control (searching for a diver, rough seas, etc.): I would not hold the scheduling issue you had with Narcosis against them in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom