Looking for Intro to Tec, Tec 40, or similar training in NY.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would anyone recommend good Intro to Tec, Tec 40, or similar classes/instructors in NY, possibly in the vicinity of Long Island?

Hampton Dive Center in Riverhead. I will hopefully be going through their tech program in a year. $$$ is my only enemy. The staff is very knowledgeable and the shop caters to rec and tech divers alike. I have met a few life long diving buddies through the shop and we are all progressing together and dive together.

Captain Tom of the Tempest- East Coast Wreck Divers, Hamptons Dive Center, Seascapes of Syossett and Scuba Network in Carle Place all have regular courses- which tend to be expensive.

TDI and IANTD courses are Advanced Nitro - Decompression Procedures (comparable to Tec 40 & 45) with Recreational Trimix a pre-Tec class.

Thanks. Do you think it makes sense to take AN/DP without taking Intro to Tec first? Among the places you mentioned, AN/DP seems to be the most entry-level class on offer in ECWD and HDC. I see on the TDI site that Intro to Tec is not a strict prerequisite for AN/DP, but always assumed it is necessary. Also, could you recommend any good instructors in those, or in other nearby places?

Last edited:
No need to take intro to tech if you do the AN/DP class- especially if you are comfortable and properly equipped. If your are uncomfortable, Intro to Tech is a good intermediary step to give you more dives and time to develop your skills. I like the TDI programs and you can certainly find TDI classes locally ( Scuba Network, East coast Wreck divers) if you want to go slow- you could also take PADI's Tec 40 and then Tec 45 with any PADI Tec Rec program, like Seascapes, or Hampton Dive Center equivalent to AN/DP)... You should get in as many local wreck dives as you can, the Northeast wrecks are a good training ground.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom