Looking for info on limitations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So this is a follow up question, I posted how my conshelf set up appeared to work better then my legend but this is in warm water and above 100'. I have a couple of tech goals in mind for down the road; one being able to do some deep dives because I would like to go inside the hanger bays of the Oriskany and the other is that I would like to do an ice dive. With that in mind, is there a reason to add something newer to the collection? I don't recall the specs on the XIV but I thought it could handle cold and deep pretty well. What if in diving deeper and I am using trimix?

Thanks Nemrod, so the follow up question...the difference between a Supreme and just a normal Conshelf, is it all in the first stage? I ask because I have thought of switching out the first (in fact I did switch to a SEA first because I can't find DIN anywhere.) So if there is something about the second that is different on the supreme I will need to start nagging out on ebay again....on the upside I should be able to fund it by selling the legend :)

I have "regular" and "supreme" second stages and the only difference between them is the sticker on the purge button.

Haven't folks dove the 'Doria on DH's and some real early single hoses?

file.php

FWIW - This picture is from 45 years ago....

The only difference is setting the IP to 125. Second stage is the same. First stage has the envrionmental seal.

A Conshelf XIV is really a modern reg and is still available for military purchase. Anything you can dive with a Legend is no issue for the XIV. BTW the first stage is really the same guts for the Legend and XIV.

VDH has the "upgrade" decals.

N

Last edited:
The metal second stage will outperform any plastic second stage under the ice.

I have not used a Conshelf under the ice, but I "accidentally" tried to create a free-flow by freezing a Scubapro 109 on the ice water surface and it just would not freeze or malfunction. I am sure the Conshelf second stage would be the same.

The Supreme models just mean they have an environmentally sealed first stage and they might be slightly de-tuned (by lowering the IP). I don't like the old silicone oil filled environmental chamber, but I really like the new dry chamber and I have converted all my Conshelf first stages. The dry environmental chambers are great for cold water and they keep the chamber clean (no salt water or sand ever gets into the spring area).

Hey Luis,

What is a dry environmental chamber? Is it merely a dry cap on the bottom? Can you add a pic?

Thanks in advance.

DD

Back
Top Bottom