Looking for ideal BCD for small female, back inflate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the scubapro suggestions. And yes we use metric in NZ but I've just gotten used to looking at all the sizing charts that talk in pounds! I just didn't like the look of the scubapro weight release system. I've done plenty of dives where getting my fins off at he boat is a challenge with cold fingers, so a clip that requires pinching, rather than a quick tug seems to negate being quick release....but I will see what I can find out there.

The Zeagle looks nice but I'm not sure many places stock them...not so sure about the idea of one tag releasing all weight though...would need to see it to get the idea.

Thanks

Aqua Lung does not require pinching and is a quick release. I have assisted with many classes and have seen others on trips with me that have accidentally lost these because they come out way too easily without them tugging. They also do not easily snap in when a lot of weight is in it or the weight itself will cause it to come undone. I'd rather have something that takes a very purposeful motion to be removed rather than something that will come out unexpectedly on accident. So while it fits your bill, I really don't recommend it but your mileage may vary. I've seen it one too many times to be able to recommend it to people.

Wear it and try to do it before you decide. I dive a Scubapro in cold water with thick gloves and am always cold so my hands are always numb and it's not a problem.Try to get fins that have a large pull spot rather than a clip or small clasp. It really helps.

Thanks for the scubapro suggestions. And yes we use metric in NZ but I've just gotten used to looking at all the sizing charts that talk in pounds! I just didn't like the look of the scubapro weight release system. I've done plenty of dives where getting my fins off at he boat is a challenge with cold fingers, so a clip that requires pinching, rather than a quick tug seems to negate being quick release....but I will see what I can find out there.

The Zeagle looks nice but I'm not sure many places stock them...not so sure about the idea of one tag releasing all weight though...would need to see it to get the idea.

Thanks
I've had a Scubapro Knighthawk for a dozen years. I like seeing and knowing that the weight pockets are secure. I've had no problem releasing to hand up to a tender. I also have an AquaLung Outlaw. I don't like that the securing system is hidden inside and that you might be able to catch the pull on something and release the pocket. Perhaps it's just a matter of familiarity

Typing in sync with @outofofficebrb :)

I've had a Scubapro Knighthawk for a dozen years. I like seeing and knowing that the weight pockets are secure. I've had no problem releasing to hand up to a tender. I also have an AquaLung Outlaw. I don't like that the securing system is hidden inside and that you might be able to catch the pull on something and release the pocket. Perhaps it's just a matter of familiarity

Ya took the words right out of my mouth! :) Great minds think alike!

I have an Aqua Lung Outlaw, Rogue adds pockets and D rings. How about Oceanic Biolite? @Dogbowl has one, could answer your questions
I cannot keep enough Aqua Lung Outlaws with Rouge waistbands in stock...they sell quicker than I can get them in. The Outlaw is very minimalist in design. What my clients do is order the components of the Outlaw except order the Rogue's waist band which has cold up pockets. Very inexpensive unit.

For light weight travel with a little more to it I have lady diver your size who just bought the Scuba Pro Hydro ... There is a video that shows how this BCD is so compact it fits in a backpack with reg, computer, wetsuit and fin...all in the overhead compartment of a plane.

Typing in sync with @outofofficebrb :)
If you read the OP's size, she probably wouldn't need any weights in an Outlaw...and if she did for a wetsuit she can use the small trim pockets instead of the larger-bulkier weight pockets.

My Wife has an Aqua Lung Pearl BC. Kind of a hybrid in that it doesn't seem to inflate like a traditional jacket. It fits her great and she is petite. Has the Sure Lock II Weight system which is really nice. I swapped the tank band out for a Griplock one and it's super easy to close without pinching your fingers.

Aqualung_Peral_1.jpg
AL Pearl 2.jpg

Thanks, but as I do a bit of scuba travel I perfer to have an all-round BCD and travelling with a back plate doesn't appeal to me. I prefer the jacket style integrated weight/back inflate to getting a wing/BP and then having to add pockets and weights to this....so I can at least rule this out. They seem to be more expensive too....

What I am finding is that a lot of our stores have old stock, and so many of the BCDs aren't available here.
I have recently found the Aqualung Balance/Libra Buoyancy Compensator at a reasonable price as it is no longer made. Does anyone have and info on this one?

Some Aqualung styles dont go very small, and then some do but with very little lift...just trying to narrow down my search!

I have found a shop with Zeagle. But limited sizing....no new styles

I realize that you are set against a backwing (or at least a back plate) but it's an option that could pretty much eliminate any sizing problems. One size fits all with the exception of the very large. I have a Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe that seems to be well-loved here on SB which has around 25 pounds of lift and a soft back plate. Weight pockets can be added and so can a pocket (I made my own). It's not quite as small as I would like for traveling but it's a lot easier to pack than a typical jacket BC. I got mine from Scuba.com which was being sold at a considerable discount because it was a "Demo." It looks brand new and they also have "demo" weight pockets for about 1/2 the usual price. I have no idea how much shipping would be to NZ though. It even came with shoulder and back pads (which I removed) which is usually extra. They appear to still be in stock.

Last edited:
I would look at the Dive Rite TravelPac TravelPac BCD | Dive Rite It is lighter and cheaper than a Transpac and travel wing. It is simple with no extra stuff you don't need, for the most part the hardware is stainless steel and it has 2 tank bands.

Hi all,

I am interested in getting a new BCD (I currently have an XS Tusa xpert but it has dodgy integrated weight system) and am wondering which brands are true to size for a petite female. I am 5"1 and 100ish pounds.

My wish list is the following:
Back inflate
integrated weights
at least one decent pocket
Decent lift - i often dive in cooler waters in 7mm wetsuit and steel tanks (my current one is 35lb)

I have noticed that many of the small/XS BCDs have very little lift compared to what I currently own, so am wondering if there are any known brands (back inflate) that still have decent lift. I have been eyeing up the Aqualung Rogue but this isn't due out till April. I also have limited access to brands here in NZ. Which brands are good for the small sizes?

Anyone with tips/hints/suggestions?
Thanks!

What is it, exactly, about your current BCD that you don't like?

R..

Last edited:
SP LiteHawk II or SP LadyHawk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom