Looking for ideal BCD for small female, back inflate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NZAnna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I am interested in getting a new BCD (I currently have an XS Tusa xpert but it has dodgy integrated weight system) and am wondering which brands are true to size for a petite female. I am 5"1 and 100ish pounds.

My wish list is the following:
Back inflate
integrated weights
at least one decent pocket
Decent lift - i often dive in cooler waters in 7mm wetsuit and steel tanks (my current one is 35lb)

I have noticed that many of the small/XS BCDs have very little lift compared to what I currently own, so am wondering if there are any known brands (back inflate) that still have decent lift. I have been eyeing up the Aqualung Rogue but this isn't due out till April. I also have limited access to brands here in NZ. Which brands are good for the small sizes?

Anyone with tips/hints/suggestions?
Thanks!

Instead of a back inflate, have you looked at a backplate and wing?

Dive gear express and deep6 both sell backplates and wings that meet most of your criteria.

They can be sized for you, and with a SS backplate you probably won't need much lead, if any at all.

A small pocket can be added.

Neither my wife nor daughter wanted to try a BP/W like I recommended. However, they both love the zeagle zena's that they picked instead. If you've got a shop that sells Zeagle in your area, go check those out. They're cut specifically for women and may fit a little better. I can't comment on whether or not they're "true to size" though.

Instead of a back inflate, have you looked at a backplate and wing?

Dive gear express and deep6 both sell backplates and wings that meet most of your criteria.

They can be sized for you, and with a SS backplate you probably won't need much lead, if any at all.

A small pocket can be added.
Neither my wife nor daughter wanted to try a BP/W like I recommended. However, they both love the zeagle zena's that they picked instead. If you've got a shop that sells Zeagle in your area, go check those out. They're cut specifically for women and may fit a little better. I can't comment on whether or not they're "true to size" though.

Thanks, but as I do a bit of scuba travel I perfer to have an all-round BCD and travelling with a back plate doesn't appeal to me. I prefer the jacket style integrated weight/back inflate to getting a wing/BP and then having to add pockets and weights to this....so I can at least rule this out. They seem to be more expensive too....

What I am finding is that a lot of our stores have old stock, and so many of the BCDs aren't available here.
I have recently found the Aqualung Balance/Libra Buoyancy Compensator at a reasonable price as it is no longer made. Does anyone have and info on this one?

Some Aqualung styles dont go very small, and then some do but with very little lift...just trying to narrow down my search!

I have found a shop with Zeagle. But limited sizing....no new styles

I have an Aqua Lung Outlaw, Rogue adds pockets and D rings. How about Oceanic Biolite? @Dogbowl has one, could answer your questions

Thanks, but as I do a bit of scuba travel I perfer to have an all-round BCD and travelling with a back plate doesn't appeal to me. I prefer the jacket style integrated weight/back inflate to getting a wing/BP and then having to add pockets and weights to this....so I can at least rule this out. They seem to be more expensive too....

The reason I recommended it was because I have a buddy who is about your statue, little bit heavier, and with an HP80 she needs no extra wet in fresh and 4lb in salt. No need for pockets as they can just thread on.

I wouldn't say $300 is drastically more expensive considering every part can be individually replaced.

I would take a look at the Dive Rite Transpac. You can put a nice little travel wing that has decent lift or use a larger one if you would need even more lift. I have one and travel with it all the time and doesn't take up much room in my suitcase at all. Theres two different sizes of weight pockets you can have with it. I have the 8lb pockets (one on each side) and it has worked fine with me. Ive used it with a 7mm and AL tank in fresh water with no weighting issues. Ive seen due to how close it fits on me, Ive actually dropped a few pounds since switching from my normal jacket style bc. Its a lot less bulky and I have much more freedom in it. Its like a hybrid between a bp/w and backinflate.

Take a look at the Scubapro Hydros.

Back inflate
Lots of lift
Modern design
Modular/adjustable with Women’s model and sizing
Integrated weights
No packet but lots of attachment available so easy enough to attach one

Scubapro Hydros Pro Womens BCD w/Balanced Inflator

My 5'1", 110 lb (doesn't NZ use metric?) wife has been shopping for a back inflate BC. She found that many smalls were too long for her short-waisted body and XS's tended to be too tight. She found that the Scubapro Ladyhawk in small fits her quite well. It has one pocket and is supposed to have just under 34 lb of lift. Looks good, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom