Looking for help for person scared by Discover Scuba experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, everyone is different but I will tell you my story:
For many years I wanted to try scuba but was scared. Finally about 10 years ago on vacation I took a try scuba course and had a very bad instructor. I was basically left alone in a pool while he watched in the morning and then took my out to the open water in the afternoon. When it was time go into the water I just couldn't do. I told him, I'm sorry, but I just can't do it. He said something like even little girls can do this and eventually pushed me into the water. Next thing I know I'm going down and I just kept telling myself to keep breathing. I started to calm down but we reached large drop and all I saw was darkness below and could see my instructor. I really panicked. My instructor came over and tried to calm me down but just kept shaking my head no. Upon reaching the boat he told me that he was afraid I was going to hyperventilate- I almost used up a whole tank. I had nightmares about the experience for a long time.

Fast forward to a few months ago. I talked to a local dive shop and explained my experience and said he I want to try again but I need to go slow and really understand the dynamics so I have control. I feel a big part of the fear- at least for me- was not having control.

It sounds like she wants to do and maybe her doing it without is better (or maybe you can take the course again with her if she prefers if that is allowed). Personally I would try to emphasize that she will get great satisfaction of doing it even if in the end she decides diving is not for her. I think diving together would be wonderful and an activity you can enjoy together for many year. Then again some couples need their time apart.

Well this was a long first post...
Glad your experience was rectified by a better instructor. As an update she went with me to our local Scuba shop anniversary event and has registered for a private DSD plus swim lessons. I was just wandering around the shop when I looked over and saw her deep in conversation with one of the instructors. I think she is going to be fine. I just really needed to not be in the middle, LOL.

ScubaPro makes good regs, however, if improperly serviced, they may not perform up to their full potential. If you are relaxed, you breath at a much slower rate and make less demands for air. A stressed person will breath harder. A properly serviced regulator will meet such demands. Again, I wasn't there, just identifying this as a possibility. What seemed fine to you, unless you replicated her breathing pattern, you may not notice it becoming difficult to breath.
right. when you panic, it feels hard to breathe sometimes from hyperventilating. so she probably freaked even more having that same sensation underwater.

It always shocks me when there are that many people learning with one instructor.

I was the only person during my OW and I wouldn't have had it any other way. I think it would be well worth the money to pay for private classes/dives
I take private classes. was willing to pay any price for that. not nearly as much pressure as if there were 5 others in the class.

Glad your experience was rectified by a better instructor. As an update she went with me to our local Scuba shop anniversary event and has registered for a private DSD plus swim lessons. I was just wandering around the shop when I looked over and saw her deep in conversation with one of the instructors. I think she is going to be fine. I just really needed to not be in the middle, LOL.
yayyyy!!! I'm so excited for her. fear is a huge obstacle and it'll definitely stop people from wanting to do something they'd really like. she just needed time, and an instructor she's comfortable with.

Why do people always want to get their spouses/gfs into the hobbies they like?

I enjoy going on vacation, getting up early to dive, while the wife and kid enjoy sleeping late. I look forward to ending the dive and getting back to them in time for brunch.
it's more about being super passionate about something and wanting to share it with the person you love.

it's more about being super passionate about something and wanting to share it with the person you love.
Trust me, I'm passionate about sailing, flying, and diving... tried getting family involved in all of it and it feels forced. Good luck with your s.o. though.

The whole thing just makes me sad. My wife had no intention of scuba diving, like totally none. We were in Jamaica and I said "Hey why don't you just try the pool thing just to see how it feels. You don't have to go down below 4 feet" So she figured why not. An amazing instructor talked her through that got her on the boat and on a reef by the afternoon. She's now certified and loves it. The ONLY reason that happened was 1 amazing instructor. If she would have had an experience like some of you have described there is no way she ever would have went back. I wonder if instructors realize the power they have over getting someone to love scuba or just be a tried it and out.....

Something similar happened with my fiancée. She freaked out during our discovery dive and ripped her stuff off at 4-5M and of course has no interest in diving. She won’t even snorkel.

The whole thing just makes me sad. My wife had no intention of scuba diving, like totally none. We were in Jamaica and I said "Hey why don't you just try the pool thing just to see how it feels. You don't have to go down below 4 feet" So she figured why not. An amazing instructor talked her through that got her on the boat and on a reef by the afternoon. She's now certified and loves it. The ONLY reason that happened was 1 amazing instructor. If she would have had an experience like some of you have described there is no way she ever would have went back. I wonder if instructors realize the power they have over getting someone to love scuba or just be a tried it and out.....
Totally agree. If someone is just curious about it, a poor instructor will most likely kill the desire real quick.

In my case, I knew ahead of time that I really wanted to dive. My initial poor instructor delayed me to some extent, but didn't totally kill it, but it wasn't until I had a better instructor that I really felt comfortable diving.

My story sound a. Lot like one of the above…but I’ll share anyway 😁. Twenty-one years ago I did a DSD class in Florida and it was horrible! Too many people for the number of instructors both in the pool and at the dive site. I was with an instructor who said he didn’t have enough weight for me and that he was concerned I was going to get hit by a propellor because I couldn’t descend. Nice! He then had me go down a buoy chain to the bottom and just hang onto the chain while kneeling on the bottom. He then left for 20-minutes to help an AOW student do their navigation test. HORRID EXPERIENCE!!

Fast forward to three months ago. While on vacation and snorkeling a lot, I decided to do another DSD. I told the instructor about my prior experience. We did an individual class at no extra cost and the entire experience was wonderful. In fact, I am returning St. Croix to that dive shop for the sole purpose of getting certified by that instructor. Due to a medical issue, my wife doesn’t want to learn to dive, which is great by me as we support each other in our decisions.

Two things in summary, a private class with a quality instructor might help your wife, or just support her decision to not dive. Second, a big shout out to Russ at Sweet Bottom Dive Center (Cane Bay location), in St. Croix, USVI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom