Looking for help for person scared by Discover Scuba experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get that. Sort of feeling some guilt of my own for having charged ahead and gotten my Cert though I suspect that is ridiculous. My main goal at the moment is not to do anything that might put her further off yet still enjoy when I go for a Sunday-Funday dive. Not sure about how the vacation concept will sort out.
What specific issues did your wife have? I didn’t catch those.

I feel you. I wanted to get certified with my husband on our honeymoon, but it turned out he had a medical condition that precluded it. Then a few years later I got certified with a good friend. Although she passed the course (half the people didn't!), she struggled and felt anxious, and never dived again. For a long time she was saying she was up for going diving sometime, and I tried ways to help her feel more comfortable, but she just never quite took the bait. I eventually let it go. I've had other friends who wanted to get certified, and I've offered advice and support, but still my only dive buddies are the ones I met diving.

I'm a little unsure what you're asking for, though. Do you want help with getting your wife certified? Or have you accepted that it's not going to happen, and are looking for ways that diving can still be a part of your life, even if it's not a part of hers?
Guess my goal is to not have that be a rock in the road of (to date) 31 years of marriage. I think I have my plan laid out just trolling(friendly) for anything I might have missed.

What specific issues did your wife have? I didn’t catch those.
She was having equipment trust issues, not convinced she could breathe underwater and some associated panic in the pool. By the time we were in the surf over the reef I think those must have blown up while I was focusing on not screwing up rolling off of the boat.

Your description sounds like they didn't follow the DSD guidelines. You should have been cared for far more attentively. Don't know if that'll make a difference to her at this point, but it wasn't her fault.
I never thought it was my wife's fault but you know us guys always trying to fix stuff that sometimes can't be fixed simply.

She was having equipment trust issues, not convinced she could breathe underwater and some associated panic in the pool. By the time we were in the surf over the reef I think those must have blown up while I was focusing on not screwing up rolling off of the boat.
Sounds like my recommendation of a private DSD just for her might help.

Maybe find a local shop to do a private DSD for just for your wife in a pool. Maybe include you if she wants. See how she does and go from there. Ask for a patient instructor. Explain previous experience.

I was very unsure about scuba and did a pool DSD (the only way they’re done in the Midwest).
I've already brought that up. We're in North Central Colorado. I did my 4 cert dives in the Heber City Crater beginning of April. We'll see what she does but yeah I would want her to try another DSD before signing up for OW and I would prefer she did the entire Cert locally. She saw my pictures from the Crater and the closed in nature of it appeared to turn her off. All said, I'll be happy if I know she is happy diving or not.

The first shop that I taught at provided really poorly serviced regulators. They are now out of business. Their regulators were purchased from another dive shop that also went out of business.

This is a common problem.

The more successful shops in my area that have repeat customers, provide quality equipment to their students.

I remember diving with one of my students with one of my regs (Apeks XTS50) and in my backplate and wing. I was curious how he liked the BP/W as compared to the jacket style BCD, so I asked him. His answer "I don't know but I love that I can breath with this regulator."

If you were not provided properly functioning regulators (this is only a guess, I wasn't there), that is a huge stress factor.

One of the most important things an instructor/dive center must do is to eliminate as much stress as possible, as stress is an inhibitor of learning, safety, and fun.

The first shop that I taught at provided really poorly serviced regulators. They are now out of business. Their regulators were purchased from another dive shop that also went out of business.

This is a common problem.

The more successful shops in my area that have repeat customers, provide quality equipment to their students.

I remember diving with one of my students with one of my regs (Apeks XTS50) and in my backplate and wing. I was curious how he liked the BP/W as compared to the jacket style BCD, so I asked him. His answer "I don't know but I love that I can breath with this regulator."

If you were not provided properly functioning regulators (this is only a guess, I wasn't there), that is a huge stress factor.

One of the most important things an instructor/dive center must do is to eliminate as much stress as possible, as stress is an inhibitor of learning, safety, and fun.
The regulators were all new Scubapro sets and they seemed to be working fine. Hers did work she just had a lot of trouble getting her head around trusting it. Part of my job I can end up wearing and using SCBA multiple times per week depending on who spilled what and where, so I'm used to having to depend on artificial life support. Not everyone is.

The regulators were all new Scubapro sets and they seemed to be working fine. Hers did work she just had a lot of trouble getting her head around trusting it. Part of my job I can end up wearing and using SCBA multiple times per week depending on who spilled what and where, so I'm used to having to depend on artificial life support. Not everyone is.
ScubaPro makes good regs, however, if improperly serviced, they may not perform up to their full potential. If you are relaxed, you breath at a much slower rate and make less demands for air. A stressed person will breath harder. A properly serviced regulator will meet such demands. Again, I wasn't there, just identifying this as a possibility. What seemed fine to you, unless you replicated her breathing pattern, you may not notice it becoming difficult to breath.

Let her know that she can call it off anytime but allow her to continue until she makes the decision to say "I'm done!"

My husband took to scuba very quickly but I had a hard time getting comfortable. He was always a stronger swimmer than me but I'm glad that I stuck with it because we have enjoyed many wonderful dive vacations and experiences together. He was supportive and didn't pressure me and eventually I started relaxing and feeling comfortable.

If she decides that she doesn't want to do it then that's fine, you will be able to find ways to enjoy vacations together that will still allow you some dive time.

Back
Top Bottom