Looking for good dive shop in Koh Samui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ibdapilot

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

My wife and I are headed to Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui, for the Christmas Holidays. I would like to get my AOW while there. We will be at the Chaweng Cabana Resort.

Couple of issues:
I was given the name of an instructor from a co-worker. His name is Ian Klaznak. I have tried to email him, but so far, without success in contacting him. So I could use a name of a good shop/instructor. I am one of those guys that after 26 years of military service likes to have a plan, a back up, and a backup to the backup plan. :)

Along that same line, is my wife's niece and her family are meeting us there. The niece's husband wants to learn to dive. I would be in need of a Russian speaking instructor. My Russian is not good enough. Any clues or suggestions?

thanks,
Larry

Ibdapilot:
Hello all,

My wife and I are headed to Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui, for the Christmas Holidays. I would like to get my AOW while there. We will be at the Chaweng Cabana Resort.

Couple of issues:
I was given the name of an instructor from a co-worker. His name is Ian Klaznak. I have tried to email him, but so far, without success in contacting him. So I could use a name of a good shop/instructor. I am one of those guys that after 26 years of military service likes to have a plan, a back up, and a backup to the backup plan. :)

Along that same line, is my wife's niece and her family are meeting us there. The niece's husband wants to learn to dive. I would be in need of a Russian speaking instructor. My Russian is not good enough. Any clues or suggestions?

thanks,
Larry

Hi there Larry, can really recomend Discovery divers at the bottom end of Chawang beach. they are attatched to a hotel the name of which slips me just now. it run by a guy called Richie Lopez who is great fun and very proffessional. they are not the cheapest i don[t think but as we all know its not just about the cheapest deal.

sean

can anyone perminently stop kanji appearing on my screen? I[m in japan just now.

Ibdapilot:
Hello all,

Couple of issues:

thanks,
Larry

I've dived with Calypso Dving and would very much recommed them. It's one of the smaller DS on Koh Samui. It's run by a Thai-German couple. All their staff were professional and very nice guys being around in the first place and they have their own, not very new but very well maintained boat (You can even stay onboard of the boat overnight, instead of doing a daytrip - this'll let you do a lot more diving, if you want to). When I was with them, they also had an instructor from Belarus (Andrej). You may want to check them out - www.calypso-diving.com

hey

if i were you i would take a couple of days away from koh samui and head to koh tao. there is no diving in samui. good diving that is. chances are that whatever company you go with will just take you on a speed boat to koh tao anyway. take a couple days off, get on a catamaran to koh tao and dive there. you wont have to deal with a 2 hr speed boat ride everyday of diving. much better and in my view a much more pleasant, laid back island. chaweng beach is not my cup of tea to many drunk young backpackers everywhere. anyway good luck with your decision.

Island Hoppa:
I know what you mean, but my wife's family from Russia went there last year and wanted to go again this year. I'll be staying there... I am too cantankerous to put up with drunk backpacker types as well. I tried to get a hotel a little further from the party central area. Ive sent emails to the shop suggested above, We'll see who responds. Thanks for the help and advise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom