Looking for divers to Ginny Springs Feb 19 or 20th 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leaving the great white north today hope to be diving Ginnie Springs tomorrow.:D

I have heard that instructors check out open water certs at Ginnie, where else in the area do instructors take their students for check outs besides Ginnie? Just curious.

Thanks,

Gary

Ginnie isn't appropriate for OW checkout dives. It is fine for CW, but it doesn't have the depth required by standards. Sure, you can get 20' in the Eye, but standards state skills must be done at 15' or deeper and the majority of the dive must be there. Where do they do the tour? In the 6' deep spring run?!?!?!? And you cannot get 15' in OW in the Ginnie basin during most of the year.

Troy Spring is about 30 minutes away and is a great OW site. Alexander Spring is about and hour away and also a great OW site.

finely I made to Ginnie Spring sat. it was awesome. I thought I was diving a large aquarium. The only regret was I ably got one dive in.:D
I'm sitting in a hotle in Willston, FL now waiting to dive Blue Grotto and maby Devils Den tomorow.:D:goingdown:

I have heard that instructors check out open water certs at Ginnie, where else in the area do instructors take their students for check outs besides Ginnie? Just curious.

Thanks,

Gary
Lots of instructors are too lazy/cheap to take their students to an ocean dive. Mine didn't do this, and I feel that he did me a great disservice, and would strongly NOT recommend him to anyone else due to this fact. My OW checkout dives were done in Blue Grotto, Devils and Ginnie Springs.

I want to thank Dive-Aholic for taking time out to call me with some suggestions on where to go. We normally do quarry dives, but I don't really feel like breaking ice to do check outs. We will be working in Blue Grotto for the check outs with a dive at Ginnie also.

We don't do ocean dives for check out's for OW students up here, the North Atlantic is not a place to do that. We do our advanced wreck certs in the ocean for real wreck training. Some instructors do the quarry for wreck certs also, which I think is really not giving the students their money's worth.

Cya all soon.

Gary

finely I made to Ginnie Spring sat. it was awesome. I thought I was diving a large aquarium. The only regret was I ably got one dive in.:D
I'm sitting in a hotle in Willston, FL now waiting to dive Blue Grotto and maby Devils Den tomorow.:D:goingdown:

You must be at the Williston Motor Inn since that's the only motel in town. It's old but clean and cheap. Eat at the restaurant next door/attached to the motel. I've had several meals there and everyone was outstanding. I was there last month.

BTW: you could easily dive both Blue Grotto and Devils Den in one day but either place is good for a couple of dives. I would feel cheated if I paid $30-35 to dive a place only did one dive, and then paid the other place another $30-35 for one dive. I would recommend spending one day at one place and the next day at the other.

Also, for your info: you get better air fills at Blue Grotto than Devils Den. At least that's been my experience.

Also, for your info: you get better air fills at Blue Grotto than Devils Den. At least that's been my experience.
eek! look at the compressor before you let them fill your tanks! I've seen pig pens kept cleaner!

Seriously, I'm not one to buy the "bad gas" rumors, but I encourage everyone to look at the compressor before letting them fill your tanks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom