Looking for divers to Ginny Springs Feb 19 or 20th 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob- do you have more info on the OW divers who died in the ballroom? I've looked for this but can't find it.

this is why I am looking for someone that has dove Ginny Springs to dive with.:D

Me and 2 of my buddies are going to be down camping Ginnie Feb 28th and 29th, taking our advanced open water there.

I wish I could join you, but I have to work at bike week.:D

Has any one heard what the conditions are like at Ginnie Springs, I heard there is some local flooding that my affect diving.:D

Has any one heard what the conditions are like at Ginnie Springs, I heard there is some local flooding that my affect diving.:D
Ginnie will not be flooded, it's a pretty powerful spring and a good distance from the river.

I have been to Ginnie several times. During normal river levels, the basin is usually no more than 12 feet deep at the deepest. Not much room there. Lights are allowed at the Ballroom, although I disagree with this. OW divers have died in the Ballroom. I'm sorry you did your OW checkout at Ginnie. That's a huge disservice to OW divers to do checkouts there for several reasons.

I have never heard of anyone dying in the ballroom.

I've heard the rumors of people dying in the ballroom, but havent seen any evidence for or to the contrary.

Me and 2 of my buddies are going to be down camping Ginnie Feb 28th and 29th, taking our advanced open water there.

You may want to ask your instructor what dives he's having you do and where. Cavern is not allowed as an adventure dive, there's nowhere in OW to do the deep dive, and the rest of the basin is too shallow to qualify for training dives.

carrielsal:
I have never heard of anyone dying in the ballroom.

And this means it's never happened?! I haven't seen it in print but have been told by several cave instructors that have been around for a while, one who witnessed a near death as well.

You may want to ask your instructor what dives he's having you do and where. Cavern is not allowed as an adventure dive, there's nowhere in OW to do the deep dive, and the rest of the basin is too shallow to qualify for training dives.

And this means it's never happened?! I haven't seen it in print but have been told by several cave instructors that have been around for a while, one who witnessed a near death as well.

I've heard the same things Rob. I can't point to an article online, but have been told by people who would know.
I witnessed a near double fatality there

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom