Looking for divers. I have a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slugger31

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone. New to the forum and wanted to jump right into it. I have a sea fox 256 WA and have gone out with groups of 3 divers and 1 boat man pretty often when I was down in SC. I have a little over 150 offshore dives to 120ft and roughly 30 river dives down in the cooper river for meg teeth. I do a lot of spearfishing when I find good reefs or ledges. I have on 1 dive here off the NC coast at the Christmas rocks. Looking to do much more. I have a launch 2 mins from my home and go out of I believe bear inlet or browns. One or the other I have my way marked in and out prior to the storm. If anyone is interested let me know. Usually split with everyone it's usually $60 a person and we normally get 2 or 3 dives in offshore. Safe diving.

I’m just outside Charlotte and if the dates and times work out I’d love to go teeth hunting. I’ve never been!

I’m definitely interested. I have a home in Topsail Beach. Just down the road from Camp Lejeune. I’ll send you a PM.

Section 2101 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by inserting between paragraphs (21) and (22) a new paragraph (21a) to read as follows:

"(21a) 'passenger for hire' means a passenger for whom consideration is contributed as a condition of carriage on the vessel, whether directly or indirectly flowing to the owner, charterer, operator, agent, or any other person having an interest in the vessel.."

DESCRIPTION - The determination of what constitutes the carriage of a "passenger for hire" must be made on a case by case basis. This determination is dependent upon the actual operation of a vessel and the flow of consideration as determined by the facts of each case. In general, there needs to be some form of tangible consideration or promise of performance being passed for a "passenger for hire" situation to exist.

SEC. 507. CONSIDERATION.

Section 2101 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by inserting between paragraphs (5) and (6) a new paragraph (5a) to read as follows:

"(5a) 'consideration' means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including pecuniary payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity, but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies." Additionally, employees or business clients that have not contributed for their carriage, and are carried for morale or entertainment purposes, are not considered as an exchange of consideration.

Bottom line: if you are a recreational boater, you are allowed to share expenses for a day on the water. Just don't make payment mandatory if someone wants a boat ride.

He never said payment was mandatory. It’s just the decent thing to do to split the fuel costs.

I’m in SC and would be interested in going out sometime as well. Are you doing and diving over the winter?

Boat is on a trailer and can put in anywhere so going to meg ledges isn't an issue. I try to dive offshore often weather permitting year round.

Section 2101 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by inserting between paragraphs (21) and (22) a new paragraph (21a) to read as follows:

"(21a) 'passenger for hire' means a passenger for whom consideration is contributed as a condition of carriage on the vessel, whether directly or indirectly flowing to the owner, charterer, operator, agent, or any other person having an interest in the vessel.."

DESCRIPTION - The determination of what constitutes the carriage of a "passenger for hire" must be made on a case by case basis. This determination is dependent upon the actual operation of a vessel and the flow of consideration as determined by the facts of each case. In general, there needs to be some form of tangible consideration or promise of performance being passed for a "passenger for hire" situation to exist.

SEC. 507. CONSIDERATION.

Section 2101 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by inserting between paragraphs (5) and (6) a new paragraph (5a) to read as follows:

"(5a) 'consideration' means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including pecuniary payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity, but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies." Additionally, employees or business clients that have not contributed for their carriage, and are carried for morale or entertainment purposes, are not considered as an exchange of consideration.

Bottom line: if you are a recreational boater, you are allowed to share expenses for a day on the water. Just don't make payment mandatory if someone wants a boat ride.

Here on the east coast we just split fuel and have a good day of diving.

The same thing happens everywhere. It can be legally interpreted as a boat for hire if you ask for money. You would then need a Captain's license, business license, insurance to cover everyone onboard and pay income tax.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom