Looking for diver friendly budget accommodations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any issue with noise at Suites Bahia ? I rented an appartment last year on Rosado Salas, I could see the hotel 1 block South and wondered if the nuisance from the karaoke bars on Rosado Salas could be heard from the side-street rooms facing North…
I've never stayed at the hotel but the location is great, close to everything in town and almost across the street from the Aldora and Aqua Safari piers. I would however only recommand it if the OP is willing to pay extra for an oceanview room. Otherwise, there are cheaper options in town, as njones259 mentionned :

I like the Pepita (Avenida 15 near Calle 1, just behing the main plaza), it's clean, inexpensive, friendly, rather quiet and a pleasant 5 block walk to the Aldora pier. No breakfast but free coffee and plenty of cheap places to eat nearby. There's a fridge in each room too (as well as AC, free wifi).
I stayed at the Bahia during Carnival last year. No problems with street noise except the main night of Carnival when there was a band playing right beneath my room.

I have stayed at both Hotel Coz and Casa Mexicana a couple of times each and they both have their + and -. Casa Mexicana is a good base of operation with a nice view if you get ocean front in a clean comfortable hotel. As others have said the breakfast is great and the proximity to town and food is fantastic. The pool is pretty pathetic and it is right in front of the lobby over looking Melgar, so it is not very relaxing hearing TAXI!?! every 30 seconds from the taxi stand out front. Hotel Coz is more for leisure, my wife doesn't dive so she is a little partial to this hotel because of the pool and resort type amenities while still being relatively close to town. The breakfast is not bad here if you stick to the made to order items, the rest of the food here can be down right terrible at times, but we always go to town for lunch and dinner anyways. I really don't like to be at the hotel much so Casa Mexicana would get my vote, especially if it is considerably cheaper.

I'm a blue collar working stiff that busts his hump everyday while dreaming about taking a couple of Caribbean dive trips a year, so when planning a vac, I'm very budget-minded.

I've stayed at Bahia, Vista del Mar, and Villa Blanca and would not hesitate to go with any of them again.

Yes, at the Bahia, you will be reminded every 30 seconds that there's a Taxi stand outside, and the entrance to Vista del Mar is in the middle of a busy shopping plaza - but I'm the one in charge of my attitude when I'm on vacation - so I therefore choose to see the humor in it all. It's all part of the experience!

I have always booked through Orbitz because of their frequent coupon offerings. This allows me to do 2 things: splurge a little extra to get an upgraded room, and it frees up some of my vac budget to spread around to the hard working staff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom