Looking for diver friendly budget accommodations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue steal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Will be going back to COZ twice this year, 10-12 days each trip this May and again in October, and need to check out some less expensive places.
Have narrowed down to: Bahia Suites, Casa Mexicana, Hotel Coz, and Villablanca.
Have read most of the reviews on Orbitz and these 4 are in my price range.
Does anyone here on scubaboard have any tips/advice?
I like to be walking distance to town and although villablanca is the furthest away, it is still walkable for me, although no breakfast included there.
AI at Hotel COZ is only $15 more a night, so breakfast, snacks, and drinks would cover that cost, with dinner in town.
Casa Mexicana has a good review for their breakfast, but is it quiet at night.
Bahia suites gets a pretty nice review and has a free breakfast over at Casa Mexicana.
Not exactly sure where the location is though.
Not sure about what dive op's are convient for Bahia or Casa,
but Hotel COZ I think is Dive Paradise and Villablance is papa hogs and scuba mau, both good.
Thanks for any advice,

Bahai & Mexicana are about 1 block apart if that. I haven't stayed at either but Dave from Aldora recently spoke highly of Bahia. I'll be at Hotel Coz next Wed and my wife & I both like it enough that we keep going back (it's a decent place at a fair price & we always do the IA when it's in the price range you've hit). Hotel Coz allows anyone to pick up there so unless your chosen op departs from the Caletta that may be helpful. Downtown has Aldora, Aqua Safari & Blue XT Sea and maybe some others I haven't hears about.

My photo tour of Hotel Cozumel is here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules/HotelCozumelPhotos

We normally get the breakfast included at Villa Blanca. You can catch it for free on Orbitz at times. You may also be able to e-mail them directly to see if you can get a better deal. When are you thinking about going?

I recently got a good deal for the 4 nights we are staying next month. PM if you want more info.

Hey man, thought you were staying at Blue Angel?

Suites Bahia is really great,nice rooms clean and plenty of hot water.Rooms also have small kitchen with frig.You also get the breakfast buffet at casa Mexicana that is really super.Bahia is 3rd and Melgar across the street from the pizza hut.I walk from there to Opal's dream and back takes about a half hour each way but I like to walk.
Hotel Cozumel is also very good and if you can get the AI for $15 dollars you can use it for breakfast,lunch and some drinks and can easily walk into town for dinner.Also a very easy walk down to papa hog's or opal's dreams in the morning.
I really like the downtown hotels Suites Vima,Casona Real,Hotel Posada Edem and Hotel Esmeralda,and pepita all mexican owned and can be had between $20.00 and 38.00 per night.Have fun as you won't go wrong wherever you decide to stay and I think you will be happy in town,nice to walk around at night and eat at all the great restaurants off the beaten path.

My vote is still with Bahia Suites. I have NO financial interest in them, indeed it is sort of competition with my Villa Aldora. But if my divers have a good experience and have more money to spend on diving, that suits me just fine!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Hey man, thought you were staying at Blue Angel?
You know I really, really like the BA for their room view (wow)/staff/restaurant/lobby/location/dive op/shore dive/kayaks, and using Jorge's or Eva's bike in the early morning and may still decide to book there, but the price is much higher than last year.
Just looking around at some other less expensive options to see what they offer and decide if it would be worth it.
Trying to fit in 2 trips this year, first one solo in May (18-28), and the next one with my wife in October.
For example, Bahia suites is over $400 less per 10 night stay.
If it comes down to Hotel Coz or BA, the price difference is only $160, so it would be the BA.

If you stay at Hotel Coz though you can walk to town for dinner. That saves $$$ over BA, so keep that in mind also. Plus, can't you still use BA for your diving? Wouldn't they pick you up at HC dock? Their dock is right next to the SCC dock, and I see lots of different dive op boats stop there daily.

Have you considered Barracuda? It is cheap and oceanfront. Not that oceanfront is a necessity, but it is right downtown. For the cheapest I would go with Bahia, but you have to do that gear drag to the pier each day, and no shore diving.

I'd also suggest consideration of Hotel Barracuda. I've taken groups both there and VB and several people with me in both places have asked for Barracuda next time. It's basic accomodations cheap. Anyone can pick up at the pier, it has an active pool/beach (some say too active), across the street from Mega, easy walk to town, and has a decent shore dive there. Dive Paradise is on site and can rent lockers and tanks. Biggest drawback is they aren't affiliated with Expedia/Orbitz/etc so you need to book yourself.

If you stay at VillaBlanca, you can get a good breakfast under $5 next door at Hogs Cafe.

Blue Angel DID pick me up at Hotel Coz last trip, so there isn't a problem there if that's who you intend to dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom