Looking For Dive Operator In Sanur & Lembongan Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi There,

The wife and i have booked a holiday to Indonesia in June / July, we have the flights and accomidation sorted, we just need to find a good dive operator in both Sanur and Lembongan Island.

We are both expereinced divers, and would like to find an operator that gives us a degree of freedom, is not a catte boat, does not do forced guided dives where twelve of you are herded around a patch of coral rubble, and not running open water courses at the same time (thus limiting the diving site wise).

I appreciate there are a few requirments involved (!) but if we could at least get a company that meets some of the criteria that would be a good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks - Bob

G'Day Bob,

regarding Sanur I second Mikes recommendation with Crystal Divers in Sanur. They are really good and Minnie, the owner, even is a PADI Course Director in case this is important for you.

Have fun,

Andy

Thanks very much guys, i have been reading the Lonely Planet book on Sanur, and it does say the diving is not up to much in the area. From looking at some of the dive company websites it seems they have options where they take you up or down the coast in a bus, to get to the slightly further afield dive spots where there is a little more to see. Can you reccomend any trips which would be about an hour or so drive from Sanur? (I am keen to try to avoid wasting money and a days holiday if the diving is pants).

Thanks again.

G'Day again,

diving directly off the beach at Sanur or further to the South is not good. The best diving on Bali is, as I heard (never was diving there) in the North-East of Bali. They have the wreck of the Liberty at Tulamben which is according to the reports a good shore dive.

When you take a Sanur-based operator they usually dive around Nusa Penida which is, depending on their boat, around 30 minutes away and offers good dives but sometimes with strong currents.
Of course they offer trips to the Liberty, too but I have no idea how far this would be.

My suggestion is that you first decide what you want to have regarding night-life. Around Sanur you have some and it's not "that far" (30-40 min by taxi) to Kuta, around Tulamben, as far as I heard, you have none.

Another option is that you ask Minnie from Crystal Divers or check their website (About Bali Crystal Divers) about the trips they offer and how long it takes.

HTH,

Andy

great Diving NE / North / NW & Eastern Bali, just depends what you are looking for.
Check out the following. If going by vehicle you will need more that a hour to get to Amed/Tulamben etc. The dive Operators will be able to advise.
Nusa Pendia and Lembongan have great diving as well.

Best advise contact the dive operators let me know what you are looking for and let them advise you. They will have up to date info to advise (Currents / weather / local conditions / etc)

Bali Diving Academy | Diving Bali | Bali Scuba Diving | Bali Diving Adventures
World Diving Lembongan Home
Diving Bali with Bali Scuba. Bali diving trips, PADI courses and Nitrox.
Bali Crystal Divers

We went to Nusa Lembongan last May, and are going again in April. The island had a good feel to it, as the beachfront has a few restaurants, bars, shops, etc. We stayed at Mainski Resort (google it for more info) and went diving with a guy named Rudi (or Rudy). His shop was about 1 minute walk (to the left when standing Mainski facing the water). I really wish I would have taken a picture of the shop so I could tell you the name! (If anyone knows, please post it here, or Bazgoodwill if you can hold off for a month, I'll give you a report!) We went diving 2 days with him (2 dives per day) and we were the only ones on the boat, so we got lots of personal attention.

The water there is a little colder than on the east coast of Bali - it makes you know you are alive! :) But great visibility. Currents can be very strong depending on time of day and near a full moon or no moon.

Manta Point was really unreachable when we were there, as the current and seas were just too much to get all the way out there. But the dives we did off of Toyapakeh were worth the visit to Lembongan, as the visibility was unlimited and the currents made for a great ride. If you go when the current is running, no "stopping" for anything, that's for sure, just enjoy the "movie"!

I am not a big fan of speedboats so we went over on Island Explorer Bali Fun Ship for $20 per person from Benoa Harbor (http://www.bali-cruise.com/funship.html). This is a huge, high-speed boat that is taking mostly daytrippers, but there is no problem booking a seat for one-way.

4 weeks from now when we go, we land in DPS then have 10 days and nights. Still trying to decide where to go. We love the feel of the Gili Islands, the diving at Nusa Lembongan was awesopme last year, and we have never been to Amed/Tulamben, and I MUST have a meal at 'Le Resto Ming' restaurant in Sanur, so one of these 3 destinations probably will go by the wayside this trip.

Last edited:
Thanks Stanley, we don't go until the end of June, so if you could PM me the name of the operator you are talking about that would be fantastic.

I posted this last week or so. I will repost here for you.

I have never seen a recommendation for Bali International Diving Professionals posted on this board. I would like to strongly recommend them as one of the best operators I have ever used. I have gone out with them 4 times over 4 years and the service, safety, and aquatic knowledge is always consistent. They have a large fast boat with a total safety/emergency kit aboard. They were great for trips to Nusa Penida as the crossing is long and can be rough. They also offer land based trips to the Liberty wreck and other stellar dive sites. These are a bargain, a 3 tank trip for the whole day for around $110-120. They are located in Sanur.
Bali Scuba Diving | Bali International Diving Professionals, Bali

My suggestion is that you first decide what you want to have regarding night-life. Around Sanur you have some and it's not "that far" (30-40 min by taxi) to Kuta, around Tulamben, as far as I heard, you have none.
I guess it depends on your priorities. I have spent many nights in Double-sixes, Gado-gado, etc.--back in the day--and I have to say it was pretty much wasted time, except for the night I met that Tasmanian surfer girl. The nightlife is better in NY, Jakarta, HK, and probably even Queensland, where the OP hails from. I can confirm, though, that as of two weeks ago there was no night-life in Tulamben--and not much day life either. Not that any of this matters to the OP, because:

we have the flights and accomidation sorted, we just need to find a good dive operator in both Sanur and Lembongan Island.

If going by vehicle you will need more that a hour to get to Amed/Tulamben etc.
It took me about 2-1/2 hours to go from Tulamben to the airport.

I posted this last week or so. I will repost here for you.

I have never seen a recommendation for Bali International Diving Professionals posted on this board. I would like to strongly recommend them as one of the best operators I have ever used. I have gone out with them 4 times over 4 years and the service, safety, and aquatic knowledge is always consistent. They have a large fast boat with a total safety/emergency kit aboard. They were great for trips to Nusa Penida as the crossing is long and can be rough. They also offer land based trips to the Liberty wreck and other stellar dive sites. These are a bargain, a 3 tank trip for the whole day for around $110-120. They are located in Sanur.
Bali Scuba Diving | Bali International Diving Professionals, Bali
How many divers were on the boat? How many could it accommodate? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom