Looking for cenote recommendation for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to go to Cozumel, and Playa Del Carmen tomorrow and diving out of Playa Del Carmen for four days where the ferry docs. So it is super convenient. Going out with Yucatek Divers.
Yucatek Divers, Playa del Carmen

My wife and I did Dos Ojos and the Bat Cave and had a great time. It really is a unique experience and every diver should try it once. That being said, while we enjoyed the dives, it won't be something we will be doing regularly. We prefer the reefs and will spend our time and money diving those but will also do a cenote dive or two well spaced out in the future. The 3mm full was fine for me but DW has since gone to a 5mm even for Coz.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

My wife is in no way interested in diving in the dark, and my son is too new of a diver to bring him into any kind of overhead environment, so I'll be making this cenote trip solo.

I usually dive in just a dive skin in Coz but I always bring along my 3mm full, just in case I get cold later in the trip. Think that will be sufficient for a day of cenotes? I don't get cold very easily in the water.

Do you usually have to find your own transportation to the dive site from the PDC ferry, or do the ops pick you up there?

I always make my cenote dives at the end of the trip. It gives your gear a good soaking to get the salt out. If you don't get too cold a 3mm will do. Personally, I have found a 5mm better for long dives (1 1/4 hours) in the cenotes.

For transportation, I would talk with the shops in PDC. You may run into some trouble being a single diver. Most shops like 4 people to sign up before they make the run down to Akumal.

I always make my cenote dives at the end of the trip. It gives your gear a good soaking to get the salt out. If you don't get too cold a 3mm will do. Personally, I have found a 5mm better for long dives (1 1/4 hours) in the cenotes.

For transportation, I would talk with the shops in PDC. You may run into some trouble being a single diver. Most shops like 4 people to sign up before they make the run down to Akumal.

Yeah I am a little worried about the solo diver part (have never dived without my wife or someone whose skills I knew well as my buddy before) but I'm just going to try to line something up through my Coz dive shop and hope it works out. If I don't get to do a cenote trip this time it won't be the end of the world, it's just that I hunger for at least 1 new dive experience per trip and this will be unlike anything I've done before.

Thanks again to all for their input and recommendations. I'm going to try to get Dos Ojos and Gran Cenote lined up. Just ordered a new LED dive light too, so that if my rental main light fails at least I know I have ONE that's in good condition. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom