Looking for best agency for tec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have certs from TDI and IANTD. I prefer IANTD because it is more available here. But TDI is more available in other countries.
Both organisations are ok, they teach all you want, oc, ccr, cave. I prefer them over 'DIR-organisations', because your courses will not be with a 'single-one-way, this-is-best'-view. I have no DIR-certs, but I was DIR-minded in the beginning of my techdiving. I still use things from that time like ratio deco if needed, or do stage-rotations instead of left-right carrying cylinders. But I can do both and that gives you more freedom in diving. My oc-configuration is like gue-divers, lights and so on same places. But I have done dives that are not possible with standardgases because longer deco and more gas needed. Teamdiving is ok, but you need to be self-sufficient/reliant in techdiving and that is a point you will not learn in my eyes well enough if you only look at DIR. Further I don't like the 'we are the best'-thinking of some DIR-divers (not all divers are so). There is no 'we are the best' in diving. TDI and IANTD will teach you what you need to know and how to make the dives you want to do as safe as possible. I turned over from oc to the 'darkside' too. That is possible with TDI and IANTD too, they offer oc and cc courses.
So look around for a good instructor, talk to him, tell your plans for future if you already know them. A good instructor will have a lot of experience in the dives he teaches, can explain things to 'noobs', takes time to explain and will learn you the new things quiet and as safe as possible.

IMHO, it's ALL about the individual instructor. Agencies are generally irrelevant. I've hop-scotched between agencies for years; but I've always sought out the most expertise that was available. Be prepared to do some groundwork research on the individual trainer, before selecting.

Do yourself a favor and focus your search towards a good instructor.

Do yourself a favor and focus your search towards a good instructor.

the instructor is the deciding factor (or should be ) the letters behind the name is unimportant ...........jm2c

Who cares! It is the instructor that really matters!!

If the instructor teaches you only training standards (regardless of agency), he teaches you the minimum. A great instructor will teach you that AND how to really make you a more educated and better diver!

The question you have to ask is: do I just want to pass or do I want to become a great diver?

If it is the former, than any agency will do. If it is the later, then you have to search for an excellent instructor.

Good luck and safe diving.

Claudia

GUE has not been mentioned yet. They have excellent materials. They only have excellent instructors. And they are happy to fail you unless you perform as required. GLOBAL UNDERWATER EXPLORERS LOS ANGELES - A GUE TRAINING CENTER

Smokers are not accepted on their courses.

If you want to dive sidemount then GUE is not your choice. They only teach backmount configurations and team diving.

Like others have said, it is the Instructor that makes the difference. As this seems to be repeated, perhaps it may help to expand on this:

PADI runs its recreational training programs on a specific standard;
Many other agencies run their recreational training programs on 'minimum standards;'
Technical diving agencies run their training programs on 'minimum standards;'

What this means to the technical student is that you have the potential to learn more than the minimum required for certification. One instructor may teach to the minimum, while another may offer two or three times the quantity of training.

It also goes without saying that the quality of instruction differs between one instructor and another. Obviously what you are seeking is an instructor that will provide quality training in the amount that makes the training worthwhile.

Basically instructors fall into two general groups:
- the first teach what is reasonable to know to dive safely in a best case scenario;
- the second teach what is reasonable to know to dive safely in a worst case scenario.

For the serious technical student, I recommend an instructor that will challenge you both physically and mentally. Provide training in how to minimize panic (by maximizing stress in controlled conditions). In other words, to prepare you for equipment malfunction and other emergency situations.

Course time is often an indicator of how comprehensive any training course is. A more inclusive program is not however what everyone wants, so choose an instructor that will provide you with what you seek.

For what it is worth: I would go to an agency that is tech first and rec as a side line as opposed to the opposite. The first to come to mind is IANTD and there are others in that calibre of orgs. Its like going to padi instaead of IANTD or NACD/NSS-CDS for cave training. I think parobably TDI and Nauii Tech would e good also. Surely the instructor makes or breaks the course.

Like others have said, it is the Instructor that makes the difference. As this seems to be repeated, perhaps it may help to expand on this:

PADI runs its recreational training programs on a specific standard;
Many other agencies run their recreational training programs on 'minimum standards;'
Technical diving agencies run their training programs on 'minimum standards;'

In addition to the issue of 'minimum standards', there is also the issue that technical-dedicated agencies tend to favor a 'begin with the end in mind' philosophy. If technical diving is their raison d'être, it makes sense that each level of training is a foundation for the next progression. Non-technical agencies tend to train 'for today' only.

Of course, this is also where instructor selection comes into it. Choose an instructor who is qualified to teach up to the highest level (or beyond) where your long-term goals lay. They'll have the necessary insight and experience to help 'shape' your training from the earliest stages with those goals in mind.

What this means to the technical student is that you have the potential to learn more than the minimum required for certification. One instructor may teach to the minimum, while another may offer two or three times the quantity of training.

Minimum standards, as I understand them, merely limit the criteria for qualification. i.e. you cannot restrict certification based on any criteria above, or beyond, the set syllabus. They don't, however, limit the training/learning that can be given.

For instance, my basic (PADI) wreck course includes skills like black mask drills on line following/simulated exit. That isn't on the PADI syllabus. I can't 'fail' a student who doesn't master that drill. But the student gets to experience/learn it. I've never had a student yet who has 'demanded' certification on the bare syllabus and rejected the extra ('non-standard') skills and drills that I offer (as an extra) - I guess I don't attract those types of 'minimalist' dive students :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom