Looking For Another "Cozumel"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSam99:
Also, IMHO, too many dive ops making for some pretty overdove reefs.....

Surely you mean "too many divers making for some pretty overdove reefs"....?

CJ

SlaveToTheReg:
I was thinking Bonaire. Aruba blows in terms of diving.

Anyone ever been to Grand Cayman AND Bonaire?

Yes, I have been to both. Along with Roatan and Belize..and a few others. :)

I think Roatan fits your needs. World Class diving..and the town is much more built up then it was when I first went there in 1999. (I was just there Novemeber 06)

Check it out..very friendly people too..and inexpensive.

So far in the Caribbean easy to get to destinations, Cayman and Cozumel are the ones that keep us coming back. I made one trip to the Seven Mile Beach area of Grand Cayman and that was one too many. But I love the East End of the island. Better diving, no overrun sites, and no big tourism... yet. Unfortunately I haven't been back since Ivan. The place we loved to stay and dive was wiped out. I'm done waiting for it to rebuild and I miss the East End walls so I'm going to go back soon.

We've been traveling to different parts of the Yucatan since '89/'90. The last few years we've made about 3 trips a year to Cozumel and Akumal. I love Cozumel for the combo of what it offers above and below the water. But if I had to vote based on diving only, I would say the East End of Grand Cayman wins. Cozumel diving is great and I love drift diving, but with business getting back to normal it's very hard to find a site where you'll be the only group. A few weeks ago on Santa Rosa there were SIX groups. I don't like diving in a traffic jam.

I'll be trying Curacao for the first time this fall. The one problem I'm having with deciding where to stay and who to dive with is that I've been spoiled with shops that give really personal service and gotten used to diving with 8 or fewer on the boat. The idea of being on a boat with 20-25 divers or doing only shore dives isn't thrilling me.

Natasha:
I think Roatan fits your needs. World Class diving..and the town is much more built up then it was when I first went there in 1999. (I was just there Novemeber 06)

Check it out..very friendly people too..and inexpensive.

I haven't been to Roatan, yet. But knowing how many people love it for the diving and laid back atmosphere, it was a bit sad to hear Carnival Corp announce that this fall they will begin construction of their new port development project in Roatan. With their success of Costa Maya and the port completion in Grand Turk, they want to expand in the Western Caribbean. (I think the post-Wilma issues/problems they've had in rebuilding their facilities in Cozumel have alot to do with it too...) The plans are for a 20 acre, 2 berth facility that can be suitable for their new large ships and host about 7,000 passengers a day. They're looking to exceed what they've done in Grand Turk and Costa Maya as far as retail and restaurants, a lagoon and other recreational facilities. I would expect that it would only be a matter of time before they expand beyond 2 ships. The Carnival port will be called Mahogany Bay.

The government of Honduras put in alot of effort for the past few years to solicit the cruise business for Roatan and the Bay Islands. I hope they really understand what they're getting into and have considered the implications on the reefs and environment in general. Time will tell if the results are benefitial to the community.

Yes, I also get the trade papers and know about Mahogany Bay. As you said ..time will tell. :)

I dove in Aruba last month. Very friendly island. It's got wrecks, reefs and drift diving. It's not a cheap place to stay but it's not overly expesive either. I'll go back again for sure.

scubawife:
But I love the East End of the island. Better diving, no overrun sites, and no big tourism... yet. Unfortunately I haven't been back since Ivan. The place we loved to stay and dive was wiped out. I'm done waiting for it to rebuild and I miss the East End walls so I'm going to go back soon. QUOTE]

Where on the East End did you stay? Was there an in house dive op? I've been curious about Cayman although I think it's harder to get to from Colorado. Any idea how damaged the reef got from Ivan compared to the damage from Wilma at Coz?

manitou diver:
scubawife:
But I love the East End of the island. Better diving, no overrun sites, and no big tourism... yet. Unfortunately I haven't been back since Ivan. The place we loved to stay and dive was wiped out. I'm done waiting for it to rebuild and I miss the East End walls so I'm going to go back soon. QUOTE]

Where on the East End did you stay? Was there an in house dive op? I've been curious about Cayman although I think it's harder to get to from Colorado. Any idea how damaged the reef got from Ivan compared to the damage from Wilma at Coz?

Cayman Diving Lodge was our place of choice there. But sadly, Ivan wiped it out. It was great! About 12 rooms and an all-inclusive dive resort. Very laid back and low key. Reasonably priced and great diving. They are rebuilding now but it is not going to be the same. They're calling it "luxury ecotourism." :shakehead So, what's that mean? A pricey, small "green" resort with a snotty attitude?

There's Ocean Frontiers and their Compass Point condos. And there are lots of rental houses. You could also do that and drive to Ocean Frontiers for your diving.

I haven't been back to Cayman yet since Ivan so I can't compare how it faired vs Cozumel post-Wilma.

I have been to Grand Cayman and Bonaire, Bonaire wins hands down. Cayman is nice but to expensive. If you want/need a thrill dive the east side of Bonaire. Excellent walls, big critters and rough conditions. If you just want to dive your brains out, back the truck up to the shore and dive anywhere on the west side. A nice laid back atmosphere, mo traffic lights, good food and very few pod people.

Check out Roatan. It reminds me of Cozumel back in the early 90's. We have gone in February, this year and last. That is about when their rainy season ends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom