Looking for an Outer Banks Diving overview

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

balance

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Some friends and I are considering a dive-related vacation later this year, and one option is the Outer Banks. I have fond memories of the area from family trips of years past, but this is the first time I'd be going with diving in mind.

If we go, the vague plan I imagine is to rent a house for the week to act as a home base. We're generally good enough friends that we can handle this (and have done so before) as long as we have options to leave.

I have a number of questions:
1. What is a good time of year to go for diving, and what kind of thermal protection would we be looking at? We'd probably go off the peak vacation time, both for our own sanity and to keep costs down.

2. How is the area for new-ish divers? We'll probably have a range of experience, and we will likely have a couple people with AOW courses completed before we go, but we don't want to overextend ourselves. We'll probably be focusing on dive excursions as opposed to wandering off on our own, definitely.

3. Any good books so no one has to write out answers to these likely common questions?

4. Any good/bad experiences with the local dive shops you'd like to share?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know too much (especially about the diving) of the Outer Banks. COme on down to Morehead, and I can help you out immensely.

I would assume that the diving up that way is much like it is here, some decent inshore stuff, 60-80 fsw, variable viz, and stellar, but more challenging offshore stuff, 100-130'. Rides may not be as long as Morehead, but there are a lot of dive operators in Morehead and the area.

Ken
you can see my book at www.lulu.com/krosemond

I enjoy the shore diving in the Outer Banks and you may be interested in done some between charters. I've dive the Triangle Wrecks and Hurron. If you are interested in either of these, let me know and I can give you some pointers on how to find the wrecks from shore.

As far as dive shops, OBX Pro Dive Center, across from Jockey's Ridge, are nice people running a good quality operation. They run charters to both deeper wrecks like U-85 and shallow wrecks like the Advance. Visibility both off-shore and beach diving varies depending on the weather. I haven't dove their boat yet but I have never hear anything but positive feedback from local divers.

Thanks. I'll dig up the links.

How's the weather in August? I wouldn't expect it shouldn't be too bad, but I'm wondering what kind of wet suits we'd be looking at. It should be still warm but after the major peak vacation season. (Also, I'm looking into more classes and such in the spring.)

I don't know about the diving as I wasn't yet certified when I was working in the area but I do agree that this area would be a nice place to rent a beach house for a week or two with some good friends. I spent two springs in a row surveying the beaches in Atlantic Beach and meet many nice people and had many good times.

Hatteras diving is wonderful. Outer Banks Diving is the shop in Hatteras. Water is about 10+ degrees warmer than at Nags Head, and vis can be 100 feet. Why? Gulf stream eddies around the wrecks. Tropical fish and corals are on hte wrecks and my avatar is a shark from "The Proteus". I have only been diving since 2/06 and I loved Hatteras diving. John and Any Pieno own the shop and have a website www.outerbanksdiving.com Great group.

Hey,
I agree with the comments on John & Amy's boat- the Flying Fish. Great boat and people. Nags Head (especially the U-85) can be colder- I have been told that site in specific can range high 50's in summer (even in Farb's book) I'm not sure what your experience is, but I would make these recommendations. If you are going to dive there, be nitrox certified. Even if you do not hit an NDL, you take on less nitrogen theoretically, thereby adding a safety factor. A pony bottle is also always a plus, not a spare air, a real pony (minimum 15 cu ft). NC is a great place to dive, the wrecks are awesome! Get in the water as much as you can before hand, and AOW would not be a bad idea, as depths can be 80+ on many of the popular spots. As for temps, 70's and 80's in September. Gary Gentile's 2 NC books cover the sites well, as Farb's Graveyard of the Atlantic is a bit older, but still great. NC diving and snorkel guide is good too. My favorite wreck is the Dixie Arrow- Sandtiger City! Hope all this helps.
-Jay

Thanks again. I think this trip would be late summer, so we'll have time to work on our basic skills at local places and take AOW and nitrox courses. It sounds like my instinct to focus ont he Hatteras area was right, and I'll have to do more research there.

hatteras and more north tend to be quite a bit colder than south, since north of hatteras is the labrador current, and south of it is the gulf stream.

when i grew up, 'the beach' was nags head, so i hear you about wanting to go to that area, but for the best diving, try a bit more south, like morehead or wilmington. that being said, however, nothing wrong with diving hatteras and more north except chillier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom