Looking for advice from Warm Water Open Circuit Tech Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m curious if moving an inflator hose is the standard response when time is a concern? I always assumed oral inflation would be the go to response, but that is an assumption without any basis on my part.
I think I agree, if time is a big concern. All the wing/BCD failures I'm familiar with don't have a lot of urgency...there is plenty of time to realize what the problem is and move the LPI hose. Oral inflation is probably faster to start, but maybe slower to fill the bladder, and certainly adds stress and a more complex maneuver to the response.

I'm not sure if you have a dive operation in mind yet, but I have dived with Horizon Divers in Key Largo every year and have had really good experiences. They often do double dips on the Spiegel / Duane and I have had no issues with diving solo, and doing one long deco dive. They also rent double Alu 80s if you need them and don't want to bring your steels with you.

As for gear I dive a 5mm wetsuit (I am comfortable in a 2.5mm shorty, but I like the full length exposure protection from scrapes on the wreck).

I dive a single bladder wing (Dive Rite Classic XT) with a lift bag for buoyancy backup. It is not as convenient as a double bladder wing would be but it is a lot more cost effective.

I have dived with double Alu 80s and HP 120s in the Ocean. From my limited experience I have found that Alu 80s and LP 85s are what you will find for renting doubles in most places in South FL.

Have a great trip!

I am a cold water (New England) Open Circuit Tech Diver, typically diving 2xsteel 100's and drysuit. I'm travelling to Florida (Key Largo) in August and curious to know what cylinders & exposure protection you typically use in Key Largo, and if wetsuit & not drysuit, what is your plan for redundant buoyancy in case of wing failure?

Thanks in advance for your advice & experience.

In August down here 3 or 5mm suit will be fine. I have always used Alum 80's for tech, SS plate and a v-weight in my 5mm suit then only requires me to use about 4lbs on a belt. I ditch that belt and I'm positive, but I can swim that rig to the surface even in the beginning of the dive (at my heaviest point). Plus I will always bring a lift bag. I couldn't imagine diving dry in August, in the keys, on a boat. Its ungodly hot, but most boats have showers so you could rinse off to keep cool. One other point to know, most of the wrecks that the Key Largo boats go to have multiple mooring buoys along the length of the ship, so in the unlikely event of a catastrophic wing failure just find the next down line and pull yourself up.

One issue to plan for down here is there are times when we get a pretty cold (for our standards) thermocline, low 60's to upper 50's, but for the most part, 90' and above will be warmer than your standard hot tub in August.

Only other advice, bring a scooter, there are some really big wrecks and the current can be screaming, makes it fun and you can see the whole wrecks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom