Looking for a Sea Kayak to Dive From

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clint@uniquescuba.com

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am looking for some kind of pedal style sea kayak to dive from off the shore.

Looking for something used and in good shape if possible.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Clint

"peddle style"= Hobie, but they only come in sit on style.
Sea kayaks are NOT ment to dive from. They are sit in style, narrow to make them easier to paddle long distances, but not very stable sitting still and almost impossible to climb in and out of.
A sit on type yak is preferred for diving and I understand the hobie is a very fine yak, although I've never dove from it.

Sadly, you can't find a peddle sea kayak that would be suitable for diving. You'll have to compromise, divable or sea kayak. Since you live in Sarasota, check out the different types of yaks at Ecomony Tackle on Tamiami trl. Good luck!

Hobie is the only make I know of with pedals. And, Hobie isn't cheap! I've never dived from a Yak, but I have a 14 foot Heritage Redfish that I think I could dive from if I wanted to. I would set the gear up before boarding the yak, and toss it over the side and jump in to don the gear and again take it off in the water. I don't know about switching out tanks though!

Why does it have to be a pedal style? Just curious, do you have a medical issue with your arms? The Hobie drive yaks are REALLY expensive. I'd rather just paddle, thanks.

Are you aware of this forum? Florida Kayak Divers - ScubaBoard

Why does it have to be a pedal style? Just curious, do you have a medical issue with your arms? The Hobie drive yaks are REALLY expensive. I'd rather just paddle, thanks.

Are you aware of this forum? Florida Kayak Divers - ScubaBoard

I just want a pedal style. I'm aware it will be expensive.

I do not have a medical condition.

I do enjoy riding my bicycle and driving my car sometimes, even though there is nothing wrong with my legs.

I was not aware of that forum, I'll check it out

OK, I was just curious. You do know that the pedals do not revolve like a bicycle, but go back and forth, right?

Think I decided I want the Hobie Inflatable one. It looks pretty sweet!

There may be a shop with the same thing closer to you, but if not, in Pinellas Park Tackle Shack is a Hobie dealer and they have a pool onsite where you can try out the Hobie you are interested in. Granted, there is only so much trying out you can do in a pool but it's better than nothing! Bill Jackson's in Pinellas Park is not a Hobie dealer but they sell Yaks and they are located right next to a park with 2 ponds/lakes where you can try out their yaks as well. I'm not sure how much research you have done yet or why you are leaning towards pedal, but it may be worth your time to check out non-pedal models just to be sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom