Looking for a Sea Kayak to Dive From

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There may be a shop with the same thing closer to you, but if not, in Pinellas Park Tackle Shack is a Hobie dealer and they have a pool onsite where you can try out the Hobie you are interested in. Granted, there is only so much trying out you can do in a pool but it's better than nothing! Bill Jackson's in Pinellas Park is not a Hobie dealer but they sell Yaks and they are located right next to a park with 2 ponds/lakes where you can try out their yaks as well. I'm not sure how much research you have done yet or why you are leaning towards pedal, but it may be worth your time to check out non-pedal models just to be sure.

Thank you for the info, I may check those other stores out.

I really like the idea of diving from a kayak and think others would find it fascinating as well. When I start teaching in Sarasota next year I may decide to buy a few more kayaks and offers guided kayak dives. I was thinking of focusing mainly on shark tooth diving in Venice because a lot of my blog traffic comes from searches involving shark tooth diving.

I'm thinking it would be better to use pedal style kayaks for this type of diving.

What are your thoughts? Pro's vs Con's (other than money)

With my paddle yak, I am able to lay the paddle on the top of the side of the boat or even toss it over the side because it is attached to a lanyard. That lets me get it out of the way when I want to, which helps when I am moving stuff around, moving me around, or whatever. With peddles, they are installed on the bottom, but you aren't getting them out of your way no matter what you do! This might not matter for diving or it could be monumental pain the you know what. That's about all I can think of for paddle versus peddle. For yaks in general, check weight. None of them are heavy, but unless you are an NBA player, anything 14 feet or more in length can get heavy fast. How do you plan on transporting it? I have a receiver extenstion for my truck which works great, others have racks on top of their car or SUV and others buy a trailer. If you are going the rack route, can you lift the yak to the top of the vehicle by yourself? If not, will you always have someone to help you? Where do you plan on storing it? If outside, I suggest covering it with a tarp so the sun doesn't fade it and I also recommend not keeping it on the ground, as it can become a home for things you don't want living in it... I have a pully system designed on my side of my neighbor's fence (I hope they aren't SB members!) where I drape straps under it while it's on the ground and then as I tighten them they lift the yak up off the ground. My tarp is somewhat permanently installed (it is only coming off if I want to) so that the all sides of the yak are covered. Initially, I didn't cover the back and after I thought I was finished designing it, I saw rays of light shining through the cracks in the fence and hitting that side of the yak. I didn't want a striped yak so I took everything down and redid the tarp. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

Clint, Did you pick something yet?

Not yet, still doing research and think I may test one out first.

I've had at least one friend I was talking to about Yaks think I totally lost my flippin mind when I told him this, but it's not as whacky as it may sound. When you test out a Yak, actually stand up on it in the water and move around on it a little bit while standing up. This is a great way to test the stability of it. You don't need to stand and lock your knees, you can leave them slightly bent if it helps you feel more comfortable, and I'm not saying you should try to dance on it, just try a little movement while standing up. A well designed Yak will allow you to do this, within reason. Obviously it's not a full boat and you aren't going to have total freedom of movement, but if the Yak tips as soon as you try to stand up, it's time to look at a different type of Yak!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom