Looking for a SDI Solo Diver Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TNTdive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone recommend a Instructor/Dive Center to get the SDI Solo Diver Certification? I am trying to get Solo Diver Certified for trips to Lake Rawlings, I have missed a few too many opportunities to get up that way and was told that with the Solo Diver Cert you can dive their without a buddy (hence the solo). However, when I contacted the local dive shop (that is SDI certified) they did not have any information about class dates, costs, etc.

So looking for any experience or recommendation or any instructors that would be able to instruct in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Chesapeake/Suffolk area.

Thanks,
Ted

lowviz,

Thanks for the information...

Still looking for something within the Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Newport News area. If there isn't anything there then will be opening the search out to the Richmond area.

Thanks,
Ted

These are the LDS's in your state that offer the Solo Diver Course, I am in Texas and really have no clue if any of these are close enough to you but I hope this helps.

Deep Dream Diving
Newport News
757-713-0168

Lynnhaven Dive Center
Virginia Beach
757 481-7949

The Dive Shop
Fairfax
703 698-7220

Virginia Scuba, Inc.
Manassas
703-369-0098

Virginia Scuba, Inc.
Manassas
703-369-0098

Adventure Scuba Company, VA
Chantilly
703-263-0427

Brittney,

Thanks for the information, I have calls/e-mails in to the two LDS. I had not heard of this course till a friend told me about it, but he did not have contact information for his instructor.

Great website for your LDS, Tiger Shark Scuba.

Thanks,
Ted

Lynnhave Dive Center in Va Bch has two SDI Solo instructors:
Dave Hinkle and Mike Scammon

Thanks. I had gotten Mike Scammon's name from another friend and took the course with him. Mike is a good instructor and gives good advice with practical hands on training. I definitely learned a few things from it. I have been using my solo cert at Lake Rawlings. Went twice this weekend with a backplate and wing configuration that we had covered during the course. I am glad that I took the course with him. That and what I learned carries over to being a better dive buddy.

TNT

This is something I have been wanting to do as well. I phoned Dave Hinkle (We are on the Virginia Aquarium Dive Team) and found out its $85 plus books. He teaches out of the Lynnhaven Dive shop and its only a matter of scheduling the class, paying for materials and taking the solo diver specialty test to get certified.:cool2:

It is simple for the most part and I did do mine with LDC (with Mike Scammon). One thing...I ordered/paid for the SDI Solo diver book (course material) on June 17 and still have not gotten the book. Everytime that I have called they have said they will check on it and call me back..then no call back. When I ask for them to check and I'll wait, it is that it should be coming but has not arrived. Thankfully, I had a friend who went through the class recently and I borrowed his book. However, I want to have my own book to review and future reference.

I dive with the Virginia Aquarium Dive team as well and Dave Hinkle is a good person. I don't think that you would go wrong with Mike or Dave (and you can not beat $85 for the course)...it's just getting the book that might be the issue.

TNT

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom