Looking for a mentor - Ft Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tournesol2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi. I will be in Ft Lauderdale Dec 31 to Jan 8th. As a new diver, I feel I need some slight nudging and correcting of my technique and hopefully get assurance that I am doing things right. I am newly certified but in cool lake water in Ontario!
I am looking for someone to go on a dive or two with me and help fix my wrongs.
Eventually, I would like to go to one of the wrecks off Ft Lauderdale beach (copenhagen maybe?)/
I am a good swimmer, I have been snorkelling for decades from Lauderdale by the sea whenever I come down for vacation, but with a BCD and tank on my back, that is a different story.
Thanks.
Al

Check out the Blue Heron Bridge thread here on ScubaBoard. It's a great place to work on technique so you can see what you're there for. @Scuba_Jenny and @BHB ScubaTroll can probably point you in the right direction.

howdy and welcome...contact gold coast scuba in LBTS they have a meet-up club that does beach dives off Dature ave on Saturdays...that should at least get you started....good luck and keep an eye out for florida winter weather conditions....it can get blown out at times.

Waters now are randomly opaque (wind => waves => sand kills viz). If monday the 1st will be diveable, we could go. Though, as a local, got to work 2nd and on, maybe another chance is the weekend, the 6th, 7th.

PS: that wreck is nothing to look at.

Last edited:
I’ve booked Gold Coast scuba for the 2nd. Can’t wait.
Thanks everyone.
@Texasguy, I will see if I can do the 6th and PM you closer to that date if you are available. Thanks.

Id also second the Blue Heron bridge dive however you need to check the current and tides timing is very important. Its also a very shallow dive new divers that struggle with equalizing this can be a challenge because of how shallow it is. I have some great footage from the dives I have done there. Id also push that you do 5 minutes of trash patrol theres a swimming area here and its sad to see the amount of trash people leave here especially given that theres a trash can ever 50 feet. because of the swimming area you will need to read the rules on where you can dive and where you cant dive but its really simple keep in mind some of this dive is 10 feet deep so just pop up and see where you are. We do beach patrol for a few minutes every time we are there. I was there once when the current was so strong that no one actually made a successful dive and there were plenty who tried. If the currents in your favor its a great dive.

Id also suggest a trip to the keys theres a lot of great dive services. Great for new divers most of them will be able to partner you up with someone if your alone. Key Largo is on the north end of the Keys shorter drive if done for just a day Quiescence has a very personalized staff and the diving here is great. I like to stay a couple days when im there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom