Looking for a Good US Mail-In Processor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix1

Registered
Reaction score
The fast-dying film processing industry has recently taken the only decent local processing lab in Cincinnati. As an underwater Nikonos photographer who generates about 30 rolls every six months, I need a good processing lab that can take my Fuji Reala 35mm color print film and produce high res digital files (~2000x3000).

I don't need fast, and I don't necessarily need cheap. I need good, and I'm willing to wait for the time it takes to ship my film somewhere to be completed. If you spend several thousands on a dive vacation, it makes no sense to cut corners on processing.

Can anyone recommend good mail-in choices?

My latest try with a local chain photo store was very disappointing. Either the scanner, the processing or both produced very low quality, mosaic-looking results.

I'd look to mpix.com. They are a professional version of Snapfish or something like that. I've also used DigMyPics.com to get digital scans of slides. They do negatives too and I've been very happy with them.

Mpix seems to be limited to a medium resolution scan (1200 x 1800). DigMyPix looks like they do great work, but I don't see any processing services. Ideally, I'd like to see the same outfit do the processing and a hi-rez scan.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions above. I have contacted each to see what they can do.

I do note, however, that there seems to be a low end and a high end, but not much in the middle I am looking for.

Many locations offer "Picture CDs" which would be fine for emailing and small prints, with scan resolutions no greater than 1800 x 1200. At the other end of the spectrum are the professional labs that can create extremely high resolution scans, but which are produced (and priced) on a per image basis.

Until my lab closed, I was used to 3000 x 2000 scans on a very good scanner for my routine 35 mm rolls. I have found that for my work, after enlarging, cropping and printing, this is a bare minimum for me.

Is there anyone in the middle out there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom