Looking for a good technical instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theriel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for a good technical diving instructor - preferably TDI - to take Advanced Nitrox + Decompression Procedures course in May.

I know that there are lots of great instructors around (and sadly, even more bad ones...), but I am seeking to merge my learning experience with holidays -> therefore I am looking for a person who teaches:
->in *warm* waters
->not awfully far from NYC (that's where I am currently based).

So, I'm considering Bahamas, BVIs, Florida, maybe Mexico etc.

Thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards,
Theriel

Last edited:
Tom and Denise Johnson at Dayo Scuba in Orlando. It's cheap to fly there, easy to get around the area, and Forty Fathoms Grotto is a really nice place to train. I just returned from taking the same classes, along with the new Helitrox addition, and will be returning next year for Normoxic Trimix and some cave diving with them.

Mark McAlpin. Teaches out of the Deerfield Beach area. Excellent instructor, excellent person in general. You couldn't go wrong with him. 903-245-0493

give mark redmon a shout. he's in melbourne fl (I think) he's a gue fundamentals instructor but I believe he teaches naui trimix. fantastic diver and a great guy

Hello,
I am looking for a good technical diving instructor - preferably TDI -

Why TDI? I'd look for the good instructor part first. Where do you want to learn in "warm" water, surely not NYC.

rongoodman, kombiguy, LiteHedded - Thank you a lot for your advice, I will definitely keep it in mind and have a look at these instructors!

@sea2summit - Ehhh...

Why TDI? I'd look for the good instructor part first.

I didn't say that I want TDI, I said that I would prefer it (e.g. because I have access to cheap training materials), if somebody happened to know a couple of good instructors from different organizations. So far it doesn't seem like there is an awful lot of great instructors being recommended (neither am I able to find such recommendations in previous threads) so it doesn't matter at all.

Where do you want to learn in "warm" water, surely not NYC.

Thank you for cynicism. I will allow myself to quote my original post:
So, I'm considering Bahamas, BVIs, Florida, maybe Mexico etc.

P.S. Thank you those who sent me recommendations via private message, I really appreciate your help and time!

Best,
Theriel

I've heard lots of good things about Dan Patterson and Heather Armstrong, too.

I've heard lots of good things about Dan Patterson and Heather Armstrong, too.

Is Heather actively teaching again? I know she had taken a hiatus for a while.

I didn't say that I want TDI, I said that I would prefer it (e.g. because I have access to cheap training materials), if somebody happened to know a couple of good instructors from different organizations. So far it doesn't seem like there is an awful lot of great instructors being recommended (neither am I able to find such recommendations in previous threads) so it doesn't matter at all.

Well if your dive count is up to date I wouldn't be looking for Adv Nitrox honestly. Try Ed Hayes in CT for something like GUE Fundementals. Even if you decide to go elsewhere for technical training (after quite a few more dives) time with Ed is unlikely to be effort or time wasted.

I don't know if David Ramael (DRE) is still teaching or not, he was on Long Island.

I would not travel to learn deco (unless you are strictly a warm water diver). Train in the conditions you'll be diving in.

Is Heather actively teaching again? I know she had taken a hiatus for a while.
I got the hint that if you come to her she will help you if her schedule allows. She's one of the few instructors who actually "do the dives", rather than promote her teaching to make $$.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom