Looking for a good technical instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want something closer to home, give Indian Valley Scuba a call. They are just north of Philly. Scuba Training

I know they do Tech training and run Tech trips.

Or even closer... try The Scuba Connection in Hillsborough, NJ.

Though there's not much in the way of warm water around here in May.

:shocked2:

With under 100 dives, you're going to struggle to find an instructor who will let you take classes.

That is simply not true.

Adv nitrox and deco require 25 dives. I had 27 when I took Adv nitrox.

Unfortunately you won't have trouble finding an instructor, but.... good ones are hard to find. I can vouch for Steve Parker he was my tech IT. Very demanding on skill performance as all should be and no simulation diving.

If you need Steve's contact info PM me.

Dale
TDI IT

Tom and Denise Johnson at Dayo Scuba in Orlando. It's cheap to fly there, easy to get around the area, and Forty Fathoms Grotto is a really nice place to train. I just returned from taking the same classes, along with the new Helitrox addition, and will be returning next year for Normoxic Trimix and some cave diving with them.

Ill second that! They are a great bunch and i would recommend them to anyone.

Unfortunately, when I had almost everything planned and discussed with the instructor, it turned out that German Yanez will be unable to conduct the course in the time when I can visit him... Ehhh, total lack of luck.

So, I will allow myself to renew this thread and I would be grateful for further information and suggestions regarding technical instructors.

Thank you a lot for help!

Best,
Theriel

That is simply not true.

Adv nitrox and deco require 25 dives. I had 27 when I took Adv nitrox.

It is true. He wasn't talking about pre-requisites. What he said was "you will have a hard time finding an instructor that would accept you".

As a tech instructor myself, I'd have serious misgivings about accepting a 25 dive novice onto a tech course. Obviously, those misgivings would be either confirmed or denied by a check-out dive (as per most agency standards).

I have not, to date, met a 25 dive diver who was ready for tech training...with the ingrained the core skills, at sufficiently perfected level, to transition into tech.

As he said.... "you'd have a hard time". Very true.

I had 27 when I took Adv nitrox.

Why did you take it?

@sea2summit - Ehhh...

Thank you for cynicism. I will allow myself to quote my original post:

I wonder if he was meaning but not really conveying "why train in warm water when you live in a cold water area?"

I know a local guy who did his full trimix in warm water, and he's no worse for the wear (quite the opposite), but the generic recommendation of "train for the conditions you'll be diving" stands.

If you dive in NYC and the UK, perhaps training in cold water would be better.

I think it is relatively difficult to find technical instructors in the Caribbean. I suspect they simply don't get enough business to make a living. GUE used to have two instructors in the Caribbean, but both of them are now gone. I suspect it is much easier to find them in the Red Sea, where there are a lot of wrecks at technical depths.

I suspect it is much easier to find them in the Red Sea, where there are a lot of wrecks at technical depths.

True; a lot of technical diving instructors here. But it's not only because of the wrecks. For instance, Dahab has no wrecks yet is one of the top technical diving destinations, simply because of other topographical attractions (canyons, arches, steep walls within very easy reach, etc...).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom