Looking for a good technical instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Jeff Johnson's credentials...quite impressive. I've dealt with Jeff over the phone multiple times, and I can say that he is quite an impressive individual. I haven't taken a class from him, but plan on doing so in the future. He told me that they training in Florida and other places outside of Maryland.

DiveSafety Staff

There are alot of good tech instructors out there, try to meet them/talk to them and former students. At the more advanced levels of training you are shooting for it is important to have a good "fit" between you and your instructor.

Two pieces of free advice. 1) If your dive count is accurate I think your next step should be to get some more dives under your belt. Starting in with deco diving at 100 dives might be a little fast. 2) If you plan on doing your tech diving in warm water, it is fine to train in warm water, but cold water diving is a different beast. Additional exposure protection makes alot of things more difficult.

When you do those classes, consider taking helitrox as well. It adds helium mixes up to 20 percent. TDI offers the class but it is not on the web site. My understanding is any TDI trimix instructor can teach it.

Good luck and dive safe.

3 people I can very highly recommend because I've taken courses with all three of them

Ben Davis- instructor up to Adv Nitrox and Deco with tdi(one of steve parkers students)
I took OW, Nitrox, and Adv Nitrox from Ben

Chris Richardson- tech instructor for NAUI since mid/late 90's and NAUI technical course director. Also runs Edge/HOG gear.
I took TDI deco procedures from Chris, and will potentially be taking TDI Trimix and NAUI cave I from him

Steve Parker- teaches every course SDI/TDI offers and has been doing it forever.
I did my SDI solo course with him last weekend, will potentially be taking TDI trimix from him in the future.

Thank you a lot for your suggestions and advice!

Is then my understanding correct that there are no good technical instructors in the Caribbean (and around)?

I mean, from what I have managed to see (some of the instructors recommended did not have clear websites so I wasn't sure), the only place nearby where there are tech instructors is Florida?

Thank you a lot for your suggestions and advice!

Is then my understanding correct that there are no good technical instructors in the Caribbean (and around)?

I mean, from what I have managed to see (some of the instructors recommended did not have clear websites so I wasn't sure), the only place nearby where there are tech instructors is Florida?
With under 100 dives, you're going to struggle to find an instructor who will let you take classes. I think NFL will be cheapest, but I don't get your desire to train where you don't dive.

Guillermo Peirano at utila dive center. great guy, lotsa fun, and an excellent instructor. he is a DSAT TecRec and IANTD instructor, but pushed TecRec. they have actually played an important role in helping PADI develop their tec program, and are actually being featured at DEMA this year (i'm in the pictures in the slideshow :) )

it's a little further to go, but the water is warm and clear, it's an amazing place for a diver to hang out for a few weeks, and it's STUPID cheap to stay there. last time i was there i spent only a few hundred dollars in a little over 3 weeks. inbetween dives they'll be searching for whale sharks, and if you're there 2-3 weeks, chances are pretty good you'll get in the water with one. it's nice to have eagle rays and mantas to gawk at while hanging, to :wink:

I've heard lots of good things about Dan Patterson...

+1 on that, based on first hand experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom