Looking for a Deep Shore Dive area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divers Incorporated

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan and White Star Quarry
# of dives
Hoping someone on this board can help me out.

I am looking for a place to teach the last two dives of the PADI Tec Deep certification course that does not involve diving off of a boat. Ideally all of my students do the last two dives off of a charter boat in Lake Huron, but with weather being such a factor I like to hedge my bets. The past three years we have done a drive and Dive to Lake Wazee in Wisconson to get my trimix students completed when the weather or fate was not cooperating. It is a great place to do deep training but the 10 hour drive is a bit daunting. It makes completing the course requirements easy since you can do a shore dive to 225ft without much of a swim.

I am looking for solid information about places you may have been that are over 140ft deep. If you know of anyone who has dived in such a place I would appreciate getting put into contact with them. Deepest I have found in Gilboa is 136ft on a high water day, so that is not an option since the course requires that the last two dives be deeper than 140ft. We do dives 6 - 10 there anyway so I am looking for something a bit deeper.

I have heard that there are some places in Michigan that meet this requirement. Torch Lake, Munising Harbor, White Fish Point, Marquette, a harbor near Petosky and even some of the inland lakes. Problem is that it is always "a friend of a friend" telling me about it. If you know of a place that meets my needs please post it. If you have first hand information about someone who knows, contact me. I Really appreciate any help.

Thanks and Dive Safe,

Rich

And you can get drunk on a sandbar afterwards. WAHEY!

I just looked at Google maps of the sattelite view of Lee Point, and it looks real tantalizing for a deep shore dive. But is there access without a long walk or trespassing?

Deepwater Point off the East Bay is also tantalizing, but might not get beyond 140 ft for a little ways out, but it looks like you can access it.

Saving five hours driving makes it tempting. Hope you find a spot.

I wonder how quick you can get deep from Deepwater Point on the West shore of Torch? Looks accessible - Good link. I dove Torch a few years back on the north end - very blue, but we stayed shallow, some timbers to see, but not much else.

Torch Lake in Antrim County, Michigan should work well for very deep dives close to shore. I haven't dived it yet myself, but it is very deep and cold! The topo map of the lake that I am including a link to shows quick drop-offs just offshore.

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/SPATIALDATALIBRARY/PDF_MAPS/INLAND_LAKE_MAPS/ANTRIM/TORCH_LAKE.PDF

Hey Rich. What did you find out about Torch Lake? Did you ever go? My brother and I are thinking about diving it this coming summer and I am looking for info :)

Will

Never did get up there this year. We ended up not needing to take an inland trip since the fall was good to us for training dates.

Maybe next year

Rich

Back
Top Bottom