Looking at a couple of used tanks; help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own at least ten LP72s. The ones in your pics are *new* ones! I have at least one with ICC numbers. ;-)

If they have any pressure in them at all I'd take the chance on them without a second thought if I needed more tanks. For the right price, I'd take them if they were stored with the valves closed and no pressure. None of the ones I have bought used and uninspected before getting home have had a single problem. LP72s are shorter and slimmer than AL80s, and some (not all) have better buoyancy and balance characteristics. For stage/deco bottles I like them better. Note that a 72 is not a 72 is not a 72. They won't necessarily double up. Check the heights before trying. I have two sets of LP72 doubles, and they're great for relatively shallow dives.

My inspector's cert, IIRC, does not allow me to sticker lined tanks. Removing linings is difficult and very time-consuming. Caveat emptor on that and pipe threads, but otherwise the odds are usually excellent.

Edit: I had to go look. I have an even dozen LP72s. Three of the twelve have ICC numbers rather than DOT numbers. Age just isn't that big a factor for well-maintained steel tanks. Two local gas distributors tell me they have tanks with swastikas on them. Let that sink in a minute; those tanks are at least 70 years old. They have passed at least 14 hydrotests each.

Last edited:
I've never had a tank that looked that good outside be bad when tested, but I only have seven.

What other gear goes with it? You may not want it but others might. I picked up a good Posiedon reg set buried in a pile of gear I bought for another reason altogether.

Bob

I'm no expert, but had to mention I got two AL80s for $75 years ago and they've passed many visuals and at least 2 hydros (they were new around 1990 though).

There are also a very few shorter 3AA2250 cylinders out there that have a capacity of around 60 cf, that are useful for the same situations that an AL63 is useful for.

I have a pair of tanks that match that description. They are about 20" tall at the top of the neck (with no boot). They are 2-67+, 3AA2250 , are stamped "VOIT" and are the same diameter as the 72s. To these sound like they? They have a US Divers J-Valve manifold so perhaps they weren't originally sold as doubles.

I was guessing they were more like 50s or less, possibly 40s. If they were Orange County Twin 44s I think they probably would have come with a backplate instead of a plastic backpack. I did get them in Orange County so anything is possible.

I have a pair of tanks that match that description. They are about 20" tall at the top of the neck (with no boot). They are 2-67+, 3AA2250 , are stamped "VOIT" and are the same diameter as the 72s. To these sound like they? They have a US Divers J-Valve manifold so perhaps they weren't originally sold as doubles.

I was guessing they were more like 50s or less, possibly 40s. If they were Orange County Twin 44s I think they probably would have come with a backplate instead of a plastic backpack. I did get them in Orange County so anything is possible.

I just did a little research and it sounds like the OC Twin 44s were comprised of US Divers "Women's" tanks and mine are clearly stamped "VOIT."

I've never had a tank that looked that good outside be bad when tested, but I only have seven.

What other gear goes with it? You may not want it but others might. I picked up a good Posiedon reg set buried in a pile of gear I bought for another reason altogether.

Bob

There are a couple of old masks, a couple of wetsuits, weight belt and 8#, a bright yellow horse collar bc, a couple of regulators, and some small odds and ends. And of course, the tanks.

Make sure the REE number is stamped on the tank. Many/most hydro facilities won't do a plus test unless it's stamped on the tank. They could look it up but won't bother. Without the plus the tank is a 65, not a 72.

Depending on the regs, you might do well at resale or have some backup regs. Just because they are old, does not mean they are worthless. If you can not identify them put some photos up on the reg forum.

If the Horsecollar works, or is a rare one, the folks on the vintage forum might be interested.

Good luck

Bob

I'm going to try and get the names, before I inspect everything tonight, to see if they might hold some value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom