Lookin to get new reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDan85

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Im looking at getting a new reg. The sherwood sr2. Any pros cons would be greatly appreciated. Looked at a lot of reviews seems like it would fit my diving well thanks for any help

tbone, I think I am going to hire you to do my marketing

not hired by anyone. I link DRiS quite regularly as well, in this case CA has a bunch of regs in stock and are always ready to make deals. Pays to have good CS. I try to recommend local if they have a good local dealer, but not always the case, and DRiS and CA come to the top of the line.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-custom-dive-rite-xt-streamlined-ow-reg-package
That's actually the reg set you want for OW, but CA has better customer service that I've had experience with and I prefer the ball swivel to the fixed angle.

In this case I think the DR reg set is better than the Hog D3/Zenith
HOG D3/Zenith Cold Single Tank Package - Scubatude. Scuba diving training, equipment, and service.
Despite a rather large error in the product description *d3's no longer have replaceable crowns*, you have a damn good package deal going. Wasn't aware of it, don't know who you are, or anything about Santa Clara other than you have a very good Drum Corp with the Vanguard, but if you're in the San Diego area, go support local business that isn't trying to rape you.

I have breathed off of some of the older Sherwoods--Brute, oasis?, maybe an SR1. They don't breathe the best, or are the best at anything, but they they just keep working.

Call it marketing or my general lack of experience with newer models of the Sherwood line, but if you are going to drop that kind of money on a regulator it had better be an Apeks, Scubapro, or Atomic. I dove/borrowed a lot of different regulators (including Atomic and Scubapro), my first singles set up as an Oceanic Alpha 7 which I still have and love, but all my current regs are Apeks which I picked up used.

I generally believe that once you enter that $500 and up price range that all of the regs are generally the same quality, but I haven't put that theory to the test with Sherwoods.

Where do you live and what kind of diving are you looking at doing?

Last edited:
I haven't breathed off of a Sherwood but I have recently tried a Genesis (GS2000)... I believe they are the same company, right?
The GS2000 was a terrible breather. I was working hard to breathe and it never felt comfortable.
Just my $0.02, of course.

Have you tried out the Sherwood SR1 you're looking at? Any chance a friend has one or a shop will let you try it out or rent?

The SR1 was apparently plagued with issues one of my LDS dropped them due to ongoing issues not sure if the SR2 sorted those.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2015 at 09:04 PM ----------

DRIS, CA and DGX always get my recommendations, great people, great service and great prices if they have what you're looking for.

I live in WV. Looking into gettun more certs. Cave cabmvern. Really would like to get as many as i can. I been looking between the sr2 and dive rite. Just was tryin to get somw other peoples perspective

if you want to go cave, just call Cave Adventurers and buy whatever they tell you to. It'll be easier that way. You won't see any modern Sherwoods in cave country unless they're on O2 bottles

if you want to go cave, just call Cave Adventurers and buy whatever they tell you to. It'll be easier that way. You won't see any modern Sherwoods in cave country unless they're on O2 bottles

Which will probably be the Hogs or the Diverites, just make sure they get the full endorsement for cold water diving. We are having a discussion in another thread about why we don't like the Hollis's for cold water diving, but they are "useable" for caves.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom