Look for Candidates for New Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that I may do as others have suggested and buy some new straps for my Twin Jets and try something very different like a blade fin of some sort.

check piranha as they may have quite reasonable spring straps for the twin jet. They have changed their strap style over the years, so not sure which ones you have

Thanks for the SP strap suggestion. My LDS carries both Dive Rite XTs, Hollis F1s, F1 LTs, F2s and Scubapro Jets. I will check them out in a few weeks.

Edit: Spoke with the shop and the blade fins that they recommend are:

- Atomic Blade Fins (with spring straps)
- Dive Rite XT Fins
- Hollis F1 or F1 LT Fins

Last edited:
OVERVIEW:

I thought that I would add some information to this thread that may be useful to others going through the same process. I was looking at currently blade fins and assembled a “list”. It is NOT completely comprehensive list, but contains many of the blade fins that are talked about on this site. I broke my list down into three categories based on construction: 1) Rubber Fins; 2) Thermoplastic Elastomer Fins and 3) Thermoplastic/Thermoplastic Elastomer Fins. Within each category, I also tried to identify whether the fin design was vented or non-vented or had OEM spring straps.

RUBBER FINS:

There seems to be a number of fins offered by companies based on the Jet Fins and the Rocket Fins with different foot pocket and strap designs. Some appear to be bespoke designs (Hollis and Mares). All of these are vented designs and tend to be heavier (4.1-7.7 lb.) and negatively buoyant. Because of their heavier density, they tend to be shorter in length. Most of these are available with OEM spring straps.

rubber%20fins_zpslactw9ib.jpg

THERMOPLASTIC ELASTOMER FINS:

There seems to be a number of fins offered by companies based on the Jet Fins (Deep6 and OMS) and the Rocket Fins (Apeks and Edge) with different foot pocket and strap designs. Some appear to be bespoke designs (Dive Rite/Apollo Design, Hollis, Oceanic, Sherwood and XS Scuba). Most of these are vented designs (a few are non-vented) and tend to be more moderate in their weight (4.0-7.3 lb.) and neutral to negatively buoyant. Because of their moderate density, they tend to be short to moderate in length. Most of these are available with OEM spring straps.

TPE%20Fins_zpswt4obpho.jpg

THERMOPLASTIC/THERMOPLASTIC ELASTOMER FINS:

This category of fin seems to be the most bespoke and diverse in terms of their design. They use double shot injection molding to control the structure of the fin by using rigid plastic and elastomers to control their flex in the water in some proposed novel manner. Most of these are non-vented designs (TUSA are vented) and tend to be lighter to moderate in their weight (2.5-5.5 lb.) and neutral to positively buoyant. Because of their lighter density, they tend to be longer in length. Only a few of these fins are available with OEM spring straps.

tp-tpe%20fins_zps7ahhb9vp.jpg

Last edited:
Nice summary.

Looks like some clear tendencies in the categories to fit the type of diving. Dry suit, tech, rec, warm water, cold water. Plus, each type of diving has general kicking styles.

Boots have tendencies also. Thicker soles vs. thinner soles and how they match up with fin pockets. Have you had a chance to try fins on ?

Nice summary.

Looks like some clear tendencies in the categories to fit the type of diving. Dry suit, tech, rec, warm water, cold water. Plus, each type of diving has general kicking styles.

Boots have tendencies also. Thicker soles vs. thinner soles and how they match up with fin pockets. Have you had a chance to try fins on ?

What is funny is I only dive in warm water but will try at least one from each category (Hollis = Rubber, Dive Rite and Hollis = TPE and Atomic = TP/TPE). None should be buoyantly positive but neutral to differing degrees of negative.

I am going to my LDS this weekend (unless I can break free tomorrow) to try the Atomic, Hollis and Scubapro blades on. My current Scubapro Twin Jets are rubber and 6.8 lb. (slightly negative in salt water). I suspect the Atomic and Dive Rites will be neutral to slightly negative with the extra weight spring straps and the Hollis and Scubapro fins will be the most negative. I will bring my boots and see how the different pockets fit my booted fit. In the end, all are "good" fins. Some may fit my foot better and or make better sense for travel.

Many of my cold water diver friends wear Converse All Stars/Chuck Taylors for boots. I really don't understand why. They must take forever to dry. Others use thick soled booties. I do remember reading someone stating that they had to buy new boots to fit their new fins.

Thanks for the SP strap suggestion. My LDS carries both Dive Rite XTs, Hollis F1s, F1 LTs, F2s and Scubapro Jets. I will check them out in a few weeks.

Edit: Spoke with the shop and the blade fins that they recommend are:

- Atomic Blade Fins (with spring straps)
- Dive Rite XT Fins
- Hollis F1 or F1 LT Fins

BTW the A

Spoke to my LDS...

Atomic Blades are too long (25.5" in XL) for my bag (BTW, so are the Atomic X1 Blade Fins which are to my surprise just as long). Dive Rite XTs are also too also long (24.5" in Large) depending on size) for my bag. Hollis F1s (23.5") and F1 LTs (22.25") would just fit in my bag but might also require trim weight on my shoulders with steel 72 tank. The Hollis F2s (19.8") will definitely fit in my bag and should have neutral buoyancy but I have power when and if I need it doubts about them.

So....

I just ordered a pair of Apeks RK3 Fins (19.1" listed but larger in Super) from an Internet dealer in size "Super". They appear to offer a good combination of features for what I was looking for. They are compact, light weight, neutrally buoyant, have spring straps and people seem to say that they are good both flutter and frog kicks.

Hope they fit!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom