Look for Candidates for New Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are some sizes and weights on the Apeks RK3s and Deep6 Eddy Fins:

Apeks RK3
Size = Super
22-1/2" tip to heel (572 mm)
24" tip to strap end (610 mm)
2.80 lb. each
5.60 lb. pair (2.54 kg)

Deep6 Eddy Fin
Size = XL
21-3/4" - tip to heel (552 mm)
24-1/4" - tip to strap end (616 mm)
2.48 lb. each
4.96 lb. pair (2.25 kg)

Still awaiting the arrival of the Hollis F2s. I will update this post when they arrive.

Here are some sizes and weights on the Apeks RK3s and Deep6 Eddy Fins:

Apeks RK3
Size = Super
22-1/2" tip to heel (572 mm)
24" tip to strap end (610 mm)
2.80 lb. each
5.60 lb. pair (2.54 kg)

Deep6 Eddy Fin
Size = XL
21-3/4" - tip to heel (552 mm)
24-1/4" - tip to strap end (616 mm)
2.48 lb. each
4.96 lb. pair (2.25 kg)

Still awaiting the arrival of the Hollis F2s. I will update this post when they arrive.

Hi iim7v7im7,

Can you let me know the quality of materials of Deep 6 Eddy Fins compared with others, particularly SP Jet Fins? Thank you.

Work bought a bunch of Apeks RK3's. I find them.....floppy. Coming from F1's as my usual go-to fin, I HATE them....with a passion that burns like the fires of hell....

Seriously, they felt like a pair of Force Fins they were that floppy. I ended up working twice as hard to go the same distance with a frog kick, and they were equally as frustrating performing every other kick that I use on a regular basis. Back kicking in them was annoying at best, and hardly effective compared to F1's, OMS, Jet's, and Hog's.

Prior to the F1's I used Hog Tech 2's pretty exclusively while diving dry. I like them a lot, but the F1's are better for power, the Hogs slightly better for small places, wrecks, etc.

Hi iim7v7im7,

Can you let me know the quality of materials of Deep 6 Eddy Fins compared with others, particularly SP Jet Fins? Thank you.

The Deep 6 Eddy Fins are a thermoplastic elastomer and are manufactured in Taiwan. Since I do not own Scubapro Jet Fins, I cannot make a direct comparison beyond that they are lighter, have a different shape to their foot pocket and are more neutrally buoyant and the Jet Fins are negative. Here are some side by side photos with the Deep 6 Eddy Fins (left) and Apeks RK3 (right) below. The Hollis F2s have not yet arrived.

IMG_0235_zpsgf1rprwo.jpg

IMG_0236_zpsutj16zh7.jpg

IMG_0238_zpsy8vyia0h.jpg

IMG_0237_zpsglte9lhy.jpg

Foot pockets on Deep6 seems to be much more ergonomically shaped then Apeks. No?
How do they feel on the foot with boots?!

Foot pockets on Deep6 seems to be much more ergonomically shaped then Apeks. No?
How do they feel on the foot with boots?!

Not really, it depends on your foot size/volume and boot style.

In size Super, the Apeks RK3 foot pockets are a bit deeper than the Deep 6 Eddy Fin in size XL. I like the through hole design in the Eddy Fin spring pull better than the RK3's design. Both fit me fine with my 5 mm boots. I still want to see how the Hollis F2s fit.

The overall manufacturing quality of the RK3 appears superior to me. How each actually performs in the water is anyone's guess. Scublab preferred the RK3s in terms of their performance metrics over the Eddy Fins, but many folks feel just the opposite. Both are modern versions of classic 1960s fin designs (Jet and Rocket Fins).

Not really, it depends on your foot size/volume and boot style.

In size Super, the Apeks RK3 foot pockets are a bit deeper than the Deep 6 Eddy Fin in size XL. I like the through hole design in the Eddy Fin spring pull better than the RK3's design. Both fit me fine with my 5 mm boots. I still want to see how the Hollis F2s fit.

The overall manufacturing quality of the RK3 appears superior to me. How each actually performs in the water is anyone's guess. Scublab preferred the RK3s in terms of their performance metrics over the Eddy Fins, but many folks feel just the opposite. Both are modern versions of classic 1960s fin designs (Jet and Rocket Fins).

The quality of the materials is what I do concern. I'm in Thailand and we have RK3 available in market, not Eddy. I dive with just rashguard or 3mm wetsuit sometimes. Old school jet fin is way too heavy for me (I'm 5'3'' and 120 lbs). I'm 90% boat diver that may need flutter kicks against the current to diving point but after diving i do mainly frog kick. Long blade fins serve me well on the surface, but not during the dive. Jet or rubber fins are too heavy and stiffs for me. I found Eddy in the internet and like the style (Jet alike). If I order Eddy from the US, the shipment cost would be even higher the fin cost itself. Thus, I would like to know how it performs and performance comparing to RK3. I know what scubalab had said, but not sure if that's about marketing related or not. Would like to hear from you how they go and if Eddy worth to be ordered from the US. Thank you.

Scubalab does not provide real results in my opinion. At least on my personal experience, i would disagree on many Scubalab results and/or tests.

If I order Eddy from the US, the shipment cost would be even higher the fin cost itself. Thus, I would like to know how it performs and performance comparing to RK3. I know what scubalab had said, but not sure if that's about marketing related or not. Would like to hear from you how they go and if Eddy worth to be ordered from the US. Thank you.
Try to contact Deep6 guys directly. They have stock in Taiwan and can ship you from there with cheaper shipping costs. They did it for me last month.

- Comfortable in 3 mm or 5 mm booties
This is the most important factor. Take your boots or booties in and try on different fins. The Hollis fins are the only ones you mentioned that work with my high instep. Deep 6 has come out with a set that's even lighter. Great for frog or flutter kicking

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom