Look for Candidates for New Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good discussion of various fins. I used Eddys in S/Med on my trip to Cozumel and was happy with them. Previously I had been taking my Force Fin Pros which are slightly more comfortable for my sensitive feet, but the Eddys are great for frog kicking. I tested Oceanic Accels, Eddys and FF Pros in our pool and the Eddys beat the Accels in propulsion and offer the advantage over the Pros with the frog kick. My only complaint with the Eddys is I had to change to a longer spring— the one that came with the fins was too short.

I don’t like the solid plastic grip on the RK3 and prefer the loop style of the Eddys, as we do a lot of surf entries and it’s easy to lose fins when putting them on or taking off.

The fit in fin performance is paramount.

Good discussion of various fins. I used Eddys in S/Med on my trip to Cozumel and was happy with them. Previously I had been taking my Force Fin Pros which are slightly more comfortable for my sensitive feet, but the Eddys are great for frog kicking. I tested Oceanic Accels, Eddys and FF Pros in our pool and the Eddys beat the Accels in propulsion and offer the advantage over the Pros with the frog kick. My only complaint with the Eddys is I had to change to a longer spring— the one that came with the fins was too short.

I don’t like the solid plastic grip on the RK3 and prefer the loop style of the Eddys, as we do a lot of surf entries and it’s easy to lose fins when putting them on or taking off.

The fit in fin performance is paramount.

I put the Hollis pull tabs on all my spring straps, have found nothing better to date. Robust with a big enough loop that I can use with drysuit gloves.

Forget the Hollis F1 if you're a shutterbug and need to stay off the reef. Hollis F1's are 7.3 lbs!! You're swimming around in an almost vertical position. In contrast, the enormous ScubaPro Jet fins are 6.4 lbs. I like my Hollis F2's for coral reef awareness diving. Much lighter and shorter. I hear a lot of great things about the Deep6 brand too.

I have Hollis F1's and SP Jets that I used a lot when I did cold water diving and loved them. Bought a pair of F2's for travel fins and they were fantastic in Bonaire with no current but in Cozumel when kick against the current they were a real workout. They just didnt have the propulsion needed to fight mild current without gassing me out while flutter kicking. I am looking for a new pair of travel fins that can do everything and am considering the new Eddys, Cressi ARA EBS, and SP Seawing Nova Gorillas. I am not sure how hard the gorillas are to kick compared to the others I have listed but I do not want a very floppy fin.

I have Hollis F1's and SP Jets that I used a lot when I did cold water diving and loved them. Bought a pair of F2's for travel fins and they were fantastic in Bonaire with no current but in Cozumel when kick against the current they were a real workout. They just didnt have the propulsion needed to fight mild current without gassing me out while flutter kicking. I am looking for a new pair of travel fins that can do everything and am considering the new Eddys, Cressi ARA EBS, and SP Seawing Nova Gorillas. I am not sure how hard the gorillas are to kick compared to the others I have listed but I do not want a very floppy fin.
I dive DR XTs, very powerful for flutter or frog when needed, relaxing when not needed, good for alternative kicks, helicopter, back. To each their own

Back
Top Bottom