Look for Candidates for New Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFB7017E-90F5-48EA-A0D0-3645D415EB1E-193-0000010F0773024E.jpeg
@iim7v7im7 what kind of soles do your booties have? I think that's going to determine which size you ultimately need. Unfortunately with my monstrous feet, the Dive Rite fins in XL are a bare minimum size for me, so hopefully someone can measure a size Large

Since all your diving is recreational/tropical, I'm a bit surprised I don't see Quattro Pros on your list. I see more of those in the tropics on rec boats than about any other fin. Also I see a lot of DM/guides wearing them as well. Must be something to it or maybe I missed something. :)

Always salt water diving so likely neutral for me. Sizing wise, how do they run? I wear a size 11 shoe and wear both 3 and 5 mm boots. I am guessing XL.
yes, i think i would go with XL.

Since all your diving is recreational/tropical, I'm a bit surprised I don't see Quattro Pros on your list. I see more of those in the tropics on rec boats than about any other fin. Also I see a lot of DM/guides wearing them as well. Must be something to it or maybe I missed something. :)

I believe that they are too long to fit in my 26" travel duffle (listed at 25-5/8" or 651 mm for size XL). I am trying to stay < 24" or 610 mm to fit my bag.

If you haven't any other experience and can't bring yourself to consider a new bag why not just stick with the twin jets?

I think he has been diving with the same fins for more than 15 yrs. Maybe he feels he has gotten his moneys worth from them and wants to treat himself to some new fins. I did the same with my fins and dive computer.

On my last trip last November, one of my rubber strap clips broke. I can't complain after 300+ dives over 17-years. I could simply buy some stainless steel spring straps for my old set and be done with it. The fins are fine. On the other hand, I suspect things have changed over the last seventeen. I also started diving when split fins were the "rage" and my instructor outfitted all his students with Scubapro gear (Twin Jets, Classic BC and Mk20/D400). I know over time (I see what others use on boats) the pros and cons trade-offs on these are now better understood.

I am beginning to replace my gear this year and fins are a natural area to consider. I consider myself an intermediate diver with good buoyancy skills and have been shooting photography for over a decade now. I am a quiet diver, I move slowly by flutter and glide or frogging along. I believe we will continue to take one or two tropical trips a year for the foreseeable future. I will never be a technical diver, do penetrations, caves/cenotes, decompression, mixed gasses just single tank, recreational dives in tropical waters.

This site has so many different types of divers it is sometimes difficult to interpret the relevancy of opinions offered to one's own situation. After reading a number of threads including this one, mostly blade fins have me curious vs. split fins or hinged fins. I also want stainless steel spring straps moving forward.

The ones that I want to consider more so far are:

Apeks RK3
Deep 6 Eddy Fins (Jet like, lighter, more comfortable)
Dive Rite XT
Hollis F1 LT
Hollis F2 (Compact)
OMS Slipstream (Jet like, lighter)

I try new fins all of the time, I don't even know how many pair I have packed around the place, the active ones are three pair of sea wing both standard and gorilla (orange gorilla are by fat the stiffest) jets, Sherwood Tritons (really like these and they totally kicked ass in heavy current with no fatigue) two pair of accell (really good travel warm water fins but to much work in a dry suit) two pair of Eddie deep 6 fins one soft one stiff, Hollis bats, Slipstreams too.

I'm always looking for something that works better for me and so far the best all around fin is the seawing which works for my flutter and dolphin kicks and my poor version of frog kick. The sherwoods are great for flutter and ok for the other kicks, I have put modified seawing bungies on them which I also used on the accells. Both of these are longer than the OP will accept and slightly positive.

The stiff deep 6 are very good frog fins ok flutter fins but I'm going to work on my kick for these because they look like they should do better for me than they have.

I think he should buy a few pair and give them a shot as there is little to be gained from an endless thread with people defending one fin type they like over another, in the end he has to put them on his feet and swim them. Just my opinion.

I think he has been diving with the same fins for more than 15 yrs. Maybe he feels he has gotten his moneys worth from them and wants to treat himself to some new fins. I did the same with my fins and dive computer.

Agreed, there is no better substitute than trying fins for yourself. So many fin options, diving styles, kicking styles and personal preferences.

I had a decent sized fin collection going for a while before deciding to sell or give away all of them except 3. 1 for shore diving, 1 for boat diving, 1 small fin for short dive trips.

If he knows people with similar size feet, I'd recommend he try their fins. Buying can get expensive if you end up not liking the fin.

Back
Top Bottom