Look down below before filming , good habit to prevent a sting ray tag.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stonefish, scorpion fish. To me they are the same thing. Ugly with a nasty spine. That's all I care about. It's also why I don't teach Fish ID. Subject doesn't matter enough to me to learn what it would take to put a good class on. So I refer people to Amazon to get a book or to a marine biologist I know.

Oh come ON! This is ridiculous! I want to see the raw video. It must be awesome! You know I would post it. the audio might be the best part.

Also, I don't think there are any stone fish in Florida.. Now scorpionfish... they are all over the wrecks..

I have not even looked at the footage I took that day. Vis was not the greatest I remember but I will see if I can check out my sd cards tomorrow and post what ever I have. I will have watch the whole video to find out the part where I got stung.

I am sorry but I might find it very difficult to post the audio if I yelped out some ridiculous type of girlish scream, apologized in advance.

Last edited:
Stonefish, scorpion fish. To me they are the same thing. Ugly with a nasty spine. That's all I care about. It's also why I don't teach Fish ID. Subject doesn't matter enough to me to learn what it would take to put a good class on. So I refer people to Amazon to get a book or to a marine biologist I know.

"The human name doesn't mean s**t to a tree."- Grace Slick

"A fish by any other name would still know the sea" - Eluard

However, as a marine biologist it does help to know the scientific name when communicating with other scientists. If I'm just talking with the fish underwater, I use their real names.. Harry, Ethel, Mark and Mary.

I do tend to worry more about scorpionfish as they are often well camouflaged against the reef during the day (although usually quite visible in my video lights at night)

I have not even looked at the footage I took that day. Vis was not the greatest I remember but I will see if I can check out my sd cards tomorrow and post what ever I have. I will have watch the whole video to find out the part where I got stung.

I am sorry but I might find it very difficult to post the audio if I yelped out some ridiculous type of girlish scream, apologized in advance.

Ok you asked for it here is the footage of the infamous sting ray tag. I thought I got while I was filming the calico bass but I guess that wasn't it. In fact it happened while I was filming my dive buddys checking out something on the reef. Need to take some memory supplements I guess. Anyway here is the footage, thank goodness I didn't scream out like a girl when I got hit. You will have to turn up the volume to here painful sound effects. I think I blurted out some interesting words through the reg as well.
[video=youtube;vVYTEpxHg6Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVYTEpxHg6Y&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]

Back
Top Bottom