Look down below before filming , good habit to prevent a sting ray tag.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was filming the other day at La Jolla cove when I actually knelt down on a sting ray. It tagged my pretty good on the side of my knee. I wanted to post this on this thread because most of us like to focus on our subjects and sometimes don't realize what is really under the sand. I was between two small rocky reef areas with a patch of sand between them. I was filming a curious calico bass coming toward me. At fist I was filming it as I was swimming forward, then as the fish started to come toward me, I stopped and continued to film it. I kept filming even though I was slightly dropping toward the sand. That's when I felt the sucker sting me!!!

The lesson I learned here, is to never assume their is nothing in the sand, unless you want to take the risk of getting tagged like I did. Be sure to have achieved neutral buoyancy before you start filming, this will help prevent what happened to me. There are creatures lurking all around sometimes you can't even see them, especially if they are buried! Just a reminder, for those who haven't been tagged yet. If you do get tagged stay calm and give signal to dive buddy to end dive. Get to some hot water quickly and pain will subside.

Filming can distract us from our surrounding, its important to remember this, where ever we are diving. Hope this brings awareness to others.

Wow, I bet that hurt! I got tagged in the side of my foot by a small Stingray that I stepped on while in Mexico. I have to say that was the most painful thing I have experienced.
I still have a hole in the side of my foot where I was barbed...15 years ago.

When I am using my GoPro, I never touch anything or the bottom for that reason.

Russ

Wow, I bet that hurt! I got tagged in the side of my foot by a small Stingray that I stepped on while in Mexico. I have to say that was the most painful thing I have experienced.
I still have a hole in the side of my foot where I was barbed...15 years ago.

When I am using my GoPro, I never touch anything or the bottom for that reason.

Russ

It was larger stingray, it went right through the wet suit like butter. I was lucky it didn't get into my joint at the knee, that could have resulted in a long term problem. I guess if you are filming with a pole or some hands free device a muck stick as Randy uses could be a good option.

I thought Irwin was being a bit unwise when he got his.

It is always important to remember that sandy bottoms have their own fauna... and much of it is infauna (buried beneath the surface). However, if one looks closely, they will usually see at least the stingray's gill openings exposed so it can "breathe."

Be careful, you don't want to pull a Steve Irwin.

'Crocodile hunter' Steve Irwin killed by a stingray | Australia news | The Guardian

Bob
--------------------------------------
I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. Dsix36

Trust me I learned my lesson. I just wanted others to be aware and prevent them from getting injured while filming.
icon_biggrin.gif

That sounds painful! I do my best to never touch bottom (or anything else for that matter).

This is why I don't teach students to kneel. Only horizontal ascents and descents. A vertical descent is ok for the first five feet or so. Then get horizontal. Unless it's shallow water. Then just lay out on the surface and descend that way.
This is based on an experience I had in the keys. I had been taught vertical descents and was on my very first ocean dives. Was coming down near the mooring line on the Benwood. I had been diving with some GUE trained guys lately and was giving the horizontal descent a try. As I got near the sand (where I might have came down on my knees before because it's just sand right?) I looked down and right below me was a stonefish just resting. Had I come down vertically I might not ever have seen it and could have had a bad day.

I was filming the other day at La Jolla cove when I actually knelt down on a sting ray. It tagged my pretty good on the side of my knee. I wanted to post this on this thread because most of us like to focus on our subjects and sometimes don't realize what is really under the sand. I was between two small rocky reef areas with a patch of sand between them. I was filming a curious calico bass coming toward me. At fist I was filming it as I was swimming forward, then as the fish started to come toward me, I stopped and continued to film it. I kept filming even though I was slightly dropping toward the sand. That's when I felt the sucker sting me!!!

The lesson I learned here, is to never assume their is nothing in the sand, unless you want to take the risk of getting tagged like I did. Be sure to have achieved neutral buoyancy before you start filming, this will help prevent what happened to me. There are creatures lurking all around sometimes you can't even see them, especially if they are buried! Just a reminder, for those who haven't been tagged yet. If you do get tagged stay calm and give signal to dive buddy to end dive. Get to some hot water quickly and pain will subside.

Filming can distract us from our surrounding, its important to remember this, where ever we are diving. Hope this brings awareness to others.

Oh come ON! This is ridiculous! I want to see the raw video. It must be awesome! You know I would post it. the audio might be the best part.

Also, I don't think there are any stone fish in Florida.. Now scorpionfish... they are all over the wrecks..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom