Look at the lips on this guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sailor...that's lots better! :thumb: The jpg isn't the culprit. You have to watch the resolution. I don't know what program you're using but in PSElements, I can see exactly what the file size will be at different qualities.

We met head on under a ledge....

abl.sized.jpg

What a great photo! Okay, was that with the 4040 and did you use an external flash?

I have my flash turned down so I may turn it back up next dive. I use the 5050 and don't care much for the auto focus because it takes too long to take a picture and I miss the shot. I want to switch to manual focus but that takes time too!

What do you do?

Tell me the details on taking this fish, pleeeaaaassse.

rodney

I'm curious too. Just how close were you when you took this photo Dee. Must have been only 4 or 5 feet away if not closer.

I took it with the C-4040/PT-10, YS90DX strobe. The EXIF...

ISO100
f6.3
1/100
Spot Macro
Strobe setting was #5

If I remember correctly, the depth was 55-60ft. I was close, probably about 12-14 inches. I was zoomed all the way out so I could get his whole face in the picture. I couldn't back-up because of people behind me trying to see and he couldn't back up because of the wall and several more big 'Cuda's behind him. It was a tense few minutes! He's actually one of the regular characters on Newman's Wall there at CCV and is used to divers and their cameras. Still, I'm never comfortable in tight quarters with things with teeth...you never known when they'll feel threathened and decide to come through you to get out!

You've mentioned several times about your 5050 being slow to focus. Are you using the half-press method? If you use that it's not so bad. And to help avoid fish butts on those fish that won't sit still and pose, keep following them with your camera as you press the button. Sort of like leading skeet when you shoot. It takes a split second for the camera to capture the picture and if you're leading the fish, you'll stay in focus and get the shot.

Thanks for the advice. I like the skeet metaphor. I thought about that on this last dive but there were so many things to learn, I didn't know what to deal with first. I think I'll develop a game plan this weekend. Any suggestions?

Rodney

I think if you're just starting out, brand new, leave the camera in P mode and no strobe to just get familiar with holding it comfortably, finding that sweet spot in your arms reach where you can see the monitor well without straining your neck or arms...especially if you wear bifacls in your mask! :wink:, and see what the camera will do. Go back through your pictures and look at the EXIF info to start learning what apertures work in what situations.

Get off P mode as soon as you can. While it works fine in alot of cases, it notoriously uses slow exposure times (same as shutter speed). Remember the settings were designed for topside, not underwater!

After that it's trial and error! If you haven't already, get a good book on basic photography and learn how Apertures and Exposure Times work together. The charts for apertures and shutter speeds for film will help get the basics down, just remember that digital aperture numbers are just a tad different. It really isn't hard...really! Besides...the film is free!
:wink:

I've been out for a few days with my new job. I can't believe I managed to miss an entire thread on barracuda...

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom